Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Filter choke in Philco 201

Hi all,
I have a recently acquired Philco 201 console from 1935.
It uses two filter chokes and one of them is open. It is the one mounted under the chassis. See the attached scan (courtesy of Philco Repair Bench) for the specs on this filter choke. It should have a DC resistance of 2300 ohms. Mine is open. It is part 98 in the schematic

Can anyone suggest how I could replace it or suggest a replacement??
Thanks,
Mark

Attached Files Image(s)

Look at Hammond chokes, akin to this one.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hamm...JAyeiVU%3d

This is 20H 20mA one, but I am sure they will have what you nedd also.
Their 155C is close (60H 8mA 2750 Ohms)

Dang Mark, you already got into it? Hide it soon, the wife may get home. I figured it would take you a year to get to it at a minimum. Good luck on it, nice radio.

Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Hi Jerry,
No, I'm not restoring it yet but I am checking out the variety of filter chokes and transformers in this chassis just to see what I am facing. I'm also expecting to find an open coil or two in a Philco of this vintage.
I may have to move this set up the "restoration line" because it's BIG and I no longer have any room ro move around in my little workspace.

WOW!! A Philco 201??

Color me VERY impressed!!Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbup

I cannot read NA schematic for this one, but you can get a good clear copy from Chuck:

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/schematics.htm

Anyway, chokes were cheaper than electrolytic capacitors way back when, and it's just the opposite now, so if that's your only problem we can help you redesign the power supply and voltage dividers if there is a failed part. It is prudent to check out the rest of the iron, as interstage transformers often fail and replacements are not always easy to come by.

But anything can be fixed, it's just a matter of time, money, and patience. All of which many of us have not enough of. Best of luck.