Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Radiola 64

Well I just couldn't resist. Today a Radiola 64 followed me home. I purchased from an estate sale and after speaking the original owners daughter when I picked it up I found out this was only the 3 time it's ever been moved. Her father purchased it new in 1928 and got and kept the service manual that came with it. It was in a basement for the last 30 years so there is some slight delamination but other then that it is in remarkable shape...and remarkably big and heavy.

Attached Files Image(s)

Happily back in Illinois..not.

Very nice set. The first radio with tuning meter. Al;so (I have heard) the first home set with auto. Volume Control (AVC or AGC).

The achilles' heel of these sets is the power transformer. They usually burned up around 1934, and the sets were either jumked or maybe, repaired. the radio chassis was already old-fashioned by that time.

The set is a great piece to have. It has very good audio. The Radiola 64 chassis was used in a few Victor and Brunswick phono combinations. The biggest Victor phono combination that was ever made used a Radiola 64 chassis. I wonder why the speaker is out of your cabinet??? Possibly an open field? If so, they can often be repaired.

Any of the RCA Radiola 60 radios will need an I.F. alignment and neutralizing. That's usually given in the service book. I've never seen one that didn't need alignment.

On these RCA's of that era, sections of the big divider resistors are frequently open. Check them with an Ohmmeter. I have one in a Victor model 9-54. The power transformer was toast, and every section of the big resistors was open! A new custom made transformer and lots of WW resistors, and the set works like a champ. Don't ask the price on the transformer. It's probably to be had for a better price these days.

Thanks Doug, I have read that the power transformer is a problem. This one was replaced sometime in its life, I noticed it when I pulled the amp section for transport, the same with the speaker. I need to give it a good once over for sure, I moved it to my shop yesterday and when I have time I'll check the speaker Power resistors...etc. I did pull the 50 tube out and wrapped it very nicely after checking the filament..which is good, what a break. Supposedly, The original owner listened to it every day until he became too sick to care for himself, then it was put into storage. It will be an adventure.
Thanks again for the info Doug,
Glenn

Happily back in Illinois..not.

glennpr,

From one Radiola fan to another you have my envy with this one.
Great find.

Someone's budget for spending was living large in 1928 to afford this one.
Keep us posted on the progress.

Now if I could just find a Radiola 17 dial hood......

Thanks,

Mike

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952