Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Radio Identification required

Hi, Pictures attached of a floor standing tube radio as yet unidentified. The radio was my grandfathers and I'm assuming was a UK model. I have removed the valves for identification purposes but as yet have no idea on the manufacturer or the model. The controls layout looks very similar to Philco models 1938 etc, but as yet the dial remains a mystery. If anyone has any ideas on it's origins, I would be most grateful for any info.Vince

By the voltage label, "mains", "aerial", etc on the back of the chassis UK would be a good guess.

I have an old Cossor and one of the best sources for information on old radios that side of the pond is this forum:

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php

Keep us posted on your progress identifying it.

Thanks,

Mike

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952

Vinnyelectronic

I'm afraid I don't know what kind of radio you have...but I know what it isn't...so I moved this thread to Other Radios (Non-Philco).

Ordinarily we prefer not to send folks away from here to find an answer (see the Phorum Rules). But, in this case, I think it's unavoidable as there is virtually no information over here on UK-made radios, including UK Philco sets. So I have to agree with Mike - if you can't find the answer at the UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration forum, chances are you probably won't find it anywhere.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

It's definately a British made console set, even though it uses an "airplane" style dial the cabinet design is much narrower then a North American set would be. The tubes/valves also appear to be Phillips style with a metal spray shield. What I also notice is that it does not have a power transformer, it appears to have a large power resistor and possibly a dry metal rectifier near one corner of the chassis, it may be an AC/DC set. Whatever you do don't try plugging it in as is, that set has been in a damp environment and really needs to be gone over before even trying to power it up. I think it's worth restoring but it's a job for someone with a lot of experience.
Regards
Arran