Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

49-1606

I am looking at it - is is worth dealing with? Seems to be one of those "hot chassis" things, no transformer.
Although otherwise big and beautiful.....how is the acoustics of it?

I have a rare opportunity - one of those is being sold very close to me in NJ and I am pondering swiping it. But then looking at the sch I have some doubts.

Any opinions?

Best to pass on it and be more selective.
Very unremarkable overall.

Thanks.
I did pass on it.

The price was attractive (59 bucks) considering it was a local sale and I could pick it up myself (though I suspect it would not fit in my Grand Cherokee and I'd have to rent a truck.)

The piece did not sell actually. And it is in a very good condition.

It's a seven tube AM/FM set, with phonograph, as is I wouldn't pay anymore then $15-30 on a good day, in decent condition with a good original finish. I think that it may be a transformerless design with a voltage doubler as the gallery says it has two selenium rectifiers. Although it probably is not a bad radio it has little collectable value, they take up too much space, and it's very seldom that one of these does not have a dead Rochelle salt phonograph cartridge.
Regards
Arran

Well, besides it being a hot-chassis, that phono stuff is another thing that kept me away.
And course the size did not help either.
Thing is, I am, in al'l honesty, not a fan of old phono - they were crude and made the vinyl scratchy. I have a vinyl collection, and I would never put any one of those on 40-50s turntable lest it be all scratchy after that.