Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What Is This Paper For?

This is on a Philco model 37-610 but I've seen it on other models. I'm going to guess that the dial scale slips into the cutout on this black piece of paper. The paper presses up against the front of the cabinet when the chassis is installed to keep the dial scale from rubbing on the cabinet. The thick rubber pieces that fit over the two shafts are removed in this picture.
[Image: http://speakeasyradios.com/yahoo_site_ad...40_std.jpg]

Now would someone please tell me what it's real purpose is? I can't think of any other one.

Thanks,
Johnny

"It's Nice To Be Nice To The Nice"
Major Frank Burns Mash 4077th

It might help to stop light leaks from the dial light?

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

Was my guess too. It is a light blocker.

I don't know guys. It's 4" below the only dial lamp and you wouldn't see any light down there anyway. Lamp has a "lamp shade" type housing around it that directs the light directly to the beam of light opening to the dial. Here's the typical escutcheon for this -610. Wouldn't matter if light escaped down lower on the dial or not.

Not trying to be argumentative at all and I do appreciate the input but I don't think it's anything to do with light. There is a "Scale Guard" on the parts list for $.02. I'm just not sure what that is.

[Image: http://www.radioatticarchives.com/images...mbaugh.jpg]

Johnny

Could be also to prevent the scale from rubbing agains metal annd destroying itself.

The grommets that go over the control shafts actually push up against the front of the cabinet when installed. This paper, with the dial scale installed actually sticks out further towards the cabinet then the grommets. So I guess my original idea might be correct. The paper comes in contact with the inside of cabinet and holds the dial scale back so it doesn't rub on the cabinet. I received the new dial scale and installed it. The paper and scale seem to fit together fine. The paper doesn't come up high enough on the scale to rub on any of the art work. Here's a pic of it now. Does it look right to you?
[Image: http://speakeasyradios.com/yahoo_site_ad...37_std.jpg]

Johnny (Or Pepper) Same guy.

Looks good!!
Terry

Sometimes the plastic dial scale will become warped, and it looks like this paper guide will keep the dial scale from rubbing on the cabinet causing the markings from being worn off.This is just my guess.

I'm being told that this piece of paper is missing on a lot of the models that have it. I'll be posting a template of it over at ARF and I'll post it here also but it probably won't be until Tuesday.

Johnny

This is a picture of the dial guide. Follow the link below it and scroll down the page if necessary. On the right side there will be a much smaller version of the pic shown here. Right click on the link picture and save it to your desktop. Then print it out and you should have the proper size dial guide template. If you have problems let me know and I'll supply precise dimensions.
[Image: http://speakeasyradios.com/yahoo_site_ad...29_std.jpg]

http://www.speakeasyradios.com/restorati...w_its_done

Johnny

Printed out and looks very good - thanks!!!

What is the actual diameter of the round hole that slides
over the concentric vernier shafts, for comparison?

If my printer squishes or slightly enlarges, I can take the
printout to a copier and play with percentages.

Chuck

Chuck the hole is exactly 3/8" in diameter. Overall heigth of the piece is 3 and 13/16" and the overall width is 2 and 1/8". These dimensions are from the longest and widest parts of the piece. I wish I had better editing software, i.e. Photo Shop or comparable. I just have some basic editing software. Someday I'll be very rich and will be able to afford that stuff. But times runnin' out. Already 60.

Johnny

Thanks again Jonny,
Appreciate your efforts.
With a ruler and playing with percents on a copier, I should be able to get it "close enough for gvt. work."

My printout measrues 5/16" diam for the round hole - just needs
a little tweek.

Icon_biggrin

While waiting for the new dial for my 37-640, I thought that I'd grease and lube all front end moving parts.  
I noticed that it didn't appear that the tab on the dial guide paper was ever used as described. I did notice that the card stock was slightly warped so I pressed the guide into a book for the apparent weeks it's going to take to receive the replacement dial from RadioDaze.

After repairing someone's old damage to the vernier dial mechanism, I temporarily put the old dial back on, forgetting to reinstall that guide  and learned that the band indicator linkage jams right into the old, but still straight phenol dial when operated.

In addition to keeping the dial from touching the case, I'd say that the other feature of protecting the dial from moving parts is just as, if not more important. The old dial, as would be expected, did in fact chip as a result of that contact.

not working for me,,,,takes you to your home page,,,,then what ,,,,can't find it,,,,,