Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 70 Cabinet

Just finished this. Still need to clean off some of the buffing compound.

This is the one I have been looking for a nice chassis for, and, may have found one.

Original grill cloth.

That looks stunning!! Great workIcon_thumbupIcon_thumbup

Gene

Thanks.

Did the 70 ever come with the same knobs as the 90, 3 rosets and 1 small one, rather than 3 small ones.

Also the knobs I have are black rather than brown (rosets). I have only seen brown ones before.

Phlog, a very nice job on that cabinet. Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_thumbup
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Thanks Jerry. It's on display right above the 111. It would look better if it had a chassis in it.

What I've heard is that the black knobs are for the car radios/Transitone. Don't know if this is true or not.
Terry
ps NICE JOB!!!

FantasticIcon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_thumbup

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Quote:Did the 70 ever come with the same knobs as the 90, 3 rosets and 1 small one, rather than 3 small ones.

Also the knobs I have are black rather than brown (rosets). I have only seen brown ones before.

I think the knob combination use on the Philco 70 and 90 varied but I don't think they ever used black knobs on the 70 or 90.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

What a handsome cabinet. Classic for a reason! Great job on making it look its best!

Icon_thumbup Nice!!

Thanks guys.

I have another chassis on the way. I'll clean off the dirt and mouse- unmentionables and hope that it is in better shape.

Great! Wish you luck finding a chassis.

Phlog, I don't know if the 90 chassis will go in there but as you know, I do have one with good iron and coils, only missing a couple shields and a socket shield. I think you know where those went. Icon_crazy
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Quote:Phlog, I don't know if the 90 chassis will go in there but as you know, I do have one with good iron and coils, only missing a couple shields and a socket shield. I think you know where those went.

A 90 chassis will not fit in a 70 cabinet.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

I would have felt bad about putting a 90 in a 70 cabinet anyway, maybe just until I found a good 70 chassis. I've got this super nice 90 just waiting for a cabinet. I just keep finding 70s though. I do have the Mershon caps all rebuilt - just could not wait. The new (er) 70 chassis is supposed to be here next Monday.

We have another public display scheduled for Jan. around the 7th in one of the Jackson Co Libraries. I would like to have this one done before then. I would also like to display the 111 or the 37-116 that I have shown you guys, but both of them are so heavy and I would feel awful about damaging either. Up to this point we (wife & I) have just displayed table tops and a 37 Zenith 6-S-52. It looks nice, but more important it is a lightweight compared to the Philcos.

What I am surely going to do is display my "spare" rebuilt 37-116 chassis, Philco tubes and all. People seem to like to see the "guts".

Anyway, thanks for all the compliments guys. Oh, and Ron, could you bring that new truck over here to move some radios?