Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco model 42-350t

Just got my newest project. The cabinet was in great shape before the post office got to it. The buyer gave me a refund and told me to keep it! This will be my first major woodworking task but I've got all winter to get it ready for lacquer in the spring. In the meantime I'll be digging into the insides.
Wish me luck!

I've said for years that the Postal Service is the worst way to ship a radio, period, end of story. Icon_thumbdown

Clueless eBay sellers who do not know, or care, how to pack a radio does not help the problem.

Good luck with that damage. It looks like the dial scale survived all of that damage, though?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron, the dial scale looks to be the best part so far. The paint appears to be intact.

Good! Icon_thumbup

I like the look of these dial scales, the sort of 3D effect Philco achieved by painting different parts of the dial scale on both sides of the glass. I own one of these, and my 41-616 also has a dial glass painted on both sides.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Is there anything special I should know about it? I read that you can pick up FM if you retune the oscillator. Ever heard of that?

There is a nice 350 at Radiotiques, I think he is selling it complete though. You could ask. I have a 345 T very nice sounding and performing set.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Hi Ron,

Would you know where I can get an accurate schematic for this set?
So far I'm finding some that are close, but not the exact set.
The tube diagram on the sticker shows: 2)XXL, 2)7V7, 1)7B5, 1)7Y4, 1)XXFM.
These are what is in my set:
7A4s for XXLs-I know they substitute. 7B7s for the 7V7s. 7B5,7Y4 and I can't read any numbers on the last one.

Ahem...yes I do.
8)

Yes:

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/schematics.htm

Well worth the nominal cost.

Now, as to your tubes. It should have 7V7s, not 7B7s. Both are pentode amplifiers and have the same pinouts, but characteristics are different. The 7B7 has much lower transconductance, lower maximum plate voltage, and higher plate resistance than the 7V7. The 7B7 might work OK on AM and SW but probably would not work at all on FM.

Yes, 7A4 is a sub for XXL.

The one you can't read the numbers on must be the XXFM. At least, let's hope so. Are you aware of the old "rub the tube on your scalp" trick?

One more thing. I would suggest that, instead of messing with the 42-350's FM oscillator circuit, that you read the following page:

http://www.somerset.net/arm/fm_only.html

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks guys,
Chuck, I didn't know you lived so far, I'm in Lake in the Hills. Anyway,I put my order in and the check will go out in tomorrow's mail.
Ron, I guess I'll replace the 7B7s with the correct tubes. No, what is the "rub the tube on your scalp" trick?
I'll check out that FM site. Thanks.

Eric

Here's the trick:

Rub the area of the tube where the numbers should be (in the case of loctals, the very top of the tube) on top of your head. Now if you're bald, forget about it. Rubbing the tube on the hair of your head releases oils from your hair onto the tube, which then *might* allow you to see the numbers under a bright light.

Don't laugh - it works 50 to 75% of the time.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I'll give it a try. Of course I'll have to use the side of my head, but that's another story.

Son of a gun, it works!

There's no limit to the profound knowledge available on the forum.

Icon_biggrin Icon_thumbup Icon_clap 8)

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN