Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 48-1274 motorized tuning problem

Good morning, I recently got a Philco 48-1274 radio/phono for my Philco radio collection that has the motorized tuning unit and I'm now restoring it. The issue is that while the motor that runs the tuner presets is working fine the motor for the bandswitch just hums when I push any of the band select buttons. I noticed on the AC motor there is a 30 MF capacitor across the windings and I suspect it may be bad (the motor and gear train moves freely) It runs on 24VAC and it appears to be a special cap. Does anyone know where I can get a cap like this? Thanks and have a great day! Ken

I would suggest a motor shop. That's where I once bought a cap for a 39-116 which has a motor to run the volume control.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron, thanks for the info--I'll check to see if I can get one that is small enough to fit under the chassis. I have been looking for a long time for this Philco and it is in excellent condition. The fun part will be replacing all the paper capacitors under the chassis as there a lot of them. Ken

Philco 48-1274 Update: I have finally finished restoring the chassis and phono changer. It was a lot of work replacing all the paper capacitors, 3 bad resistors, restringing one of the tuning drive cords, bad AM oscillator shunt trimmer capacitor (found exact replacement on eBay) and fixing a loose rivet on a terminal strip in the power supply that was causing a loud hum when the chassis was tapped. It plays very well and is extremely sensitive on FM using only the cabinet antenna--AM & SW works great. The motorized band selector & tuning work perfectly. I don't have any 78 RPM records to test on the changer yet but the cartridge works and has the correct needle. I did notice this is the first Philco I have ever seen with a 4-gang FM front end--Philco seemed to put a lot of effort in designing this particular chassis. One thing I forgot to mention is that it is very loud and has plenty of bass in the audio. My Philco also has the original back also. Only thing I now need to figure out is how to fix the glass dial scale--the brown paint has flaked off but the rest of the scale is fine--has anyone had any luck with fixing the dial scale? Thanks, Ken

Hi Kenradio,

You may want to have a look at this thread pertaining to the brown paint on the glass dial scale:

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=5145

Scroll down towards the bottom of the thread to see what he did.

Marsupial ran into a similar prolem with his 47-1230 and had good results with repainting. You have an amazing set with your 48-1274! Would love to see pics posted and / or video demonstration!

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Hi Greg, thanks for the info on restoring the dial. I'm trying to attach some pics of the radio that are on my PC desktop but it won't let me because they are too large. I'll be uploading a video this week on YouTube. I'll be looking for some 78 RPM records to try out the changer soon. Overall, I'm very pleased with the Philco and it is more sensitive than my Philco 48-482. Ken