Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

General Electric models A-205 & A-208

Are there any of these 20-tube monsters about?

One seldom sees the larger sets from GE. The 208 was the phonograph job.

Touted as a "True Fidelity All-Wave Radio", they had 6 (yes, 6) 6F6's in PPP output.

BTW, if anyone needs info, I have the factory service manual set covering all GE radios from 1930 to 1939.

Dennis

Pacing the cage...

Just when you think that you've seen them all.....

I had to research that one, as I had never heard of or seen one before.

From the description it sounds like a monster.

This model had rated 40 Watt output delivered to two 11" speakers.

It also used a unique switching arrangement to allow defeat of the superhet function and go to a TRF circuit (only on broadcast band), for ultimate wideband performance.

I have never seen any other radio of the age use this design.

The slightly later "A-205/8E" model was bi-amped, with 10 more watts for just the tweeters.

It probably gave the Strat and Masterpiece a run for their money in terms of sound.

Dennis

Pacing the cage...

I have noticed that what you find or do not find in a given area largely depends on what dealer network was in your region when the set was made. In my area there was a regional distributor for Canadian General Electric and another for Philco, and there was a DeForest Crosley, an RCA, a Canadian Westinghouse, and a Sparton dealer in the area, so I see a fair number of those. I would bet that you would be more likely to see one of those big G.E sets in the New York/New England area or at least in an area that had a large G.E distributor nearby. I have seen some larger G.E sets but they are Canadian G.E sets, an altogether different animal.
Regards
Arran