Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Electrolytic cap question

One part of my radio collection I really love are the memories I have of getting them, especially the first ones I got when I was a teenager. Recently I pulled a 1937 Detrola model 137 out of hiding in my attic. I remember getting this set at a Fall fleamarket way back in 1981 for 15 bucks. I remember being really excited about this find as at the time it was the second oldest radio I had gotten. i played around with it for awhile, but not yet really knowing alot about electronics, I never did get it to play. Fast forward 32 years and I have rediscovered it and have decided that it was time to fix that.
It's an early AC/DC set and there is not a lot of room under the chassis. I would like to restuff the original electrolytic cans not only to preserve the look, but for space issues as well. So after pulling the cans off the chassis, I discovered that there is still liquid in them. I've restuffed electrolytic cans before but they have always been dried out. My question is, Is the liquid in the cans toxic or hazardous? What is it made of anyway? Any one have any input? Thanks!
Kevin

I believe it is a boric acid solution. Toxic only in large quantities. Also used in ant poisons {it works} and as an antiseptic. Use normal precautions--safety goggles and thin painters gloves.

It's borax based, maybe a boric acid solution, I don't know for sure. I use to have some that I salvaged from a bad cap and stored in a jar, the cap had a dead short so was useless even though it wasn't dried out. If I find it again maybe I will get the liquid analyzed. No it isn't particularly toxic, not to humans and higher animals anyway, but it does kill insects and it does kill mold. The reason it's effective in killing ants is that they can't taste it, so it will mix right into sugar, peanut butter, or other things they like, which, being the community spirited insects they are, will tell the other ants about it and then take some back to the nest.
Regards
Arran