Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 630 console question

On the back of the chassis, there is a 2-screw terminal strip. The wires go up to the band switch. The band switch is 3 position; AM and two SW. If these 2 screws are for a phono, is something missing.

Those screws are for the lead-in of the Philco High Efficiency Aerial.

These sets were designed so that you could use Philco's special all-wave antenna without an external coupler. If you wanted to use a conventional longwire, you connect it to the ANT terminal as was the practice in most 1928-1935 Philco sets.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks. After studying the schematic further, these, I believe, are identified as BLACK and RED. I've now got bigger problems. The last guy did a lot of major changing and I believe I know why. There's nothing going to the plate of the RF 78 tube. And the antenna wire goes straight to where that plate wire went. After further metering, it appears that a section of the RF transformer is open. I gather that this not good?

So, I like new challenges.....is repairing a section of the RF transformer something that I can handle?

Nope, not good.

I suggest finding a 620 or 630 for parts, and install the good RF coil from the donor to your 630.

An RF coil from a 620, 625, 630 or 635 will work.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN