Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

IF transformer

After weeks and weeks of looking, I've finally found an if can that looks similar to the one I am seeking on e-bay. The part # is 32-4001. This definitely is a Philco unit. (The # I've been searching for is 32-3822). Here is a picture. Would this be suitable for #4 if can in my 42-400? Thanks.

Attached Files Image(s)

I can't find any specs on that part number.

Looks like the 3rd IF from the 42-395 (32-3829), 42-355/390 (32-3789), 42-1012/1013 (32-3845) should work in the 42-400 as a replacement for its 4th IF.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks, Ron. That's what I was hoping, as I tried to find a reference for that part # and just went around in circles. They stated that it is a NOS, (minus the box), and asking $20+$6 shipping. Seems a tad steep, but at this point, I'm getting kind of desperate, and it'd be worth it if it actually worked. If I recall, I think mine had 5 wires, and this one looks like it only has 4-(only one picture, hard to tell)- but would this thing be insanely difficult to install and to tell which leads go to where? Will I fry it if I make a wrong move? Would it make a difference if it was 455kc as opposed to 456kc? It does have three adjustment holes on top like mine. Thanks for any info! Icon_biggrin Jim.

I wouldn't bother with it. You need a specific transformer, and only the ones I listed above have any chance of working. (Note that I didn't list the last IF of the 42-1015 or 42-1016, as chances are slim that you would find a parts chassis from one of those monsters.)

It is used for the AM/SW bands (455 kc) and FM (4.3 mc). A 455-only transformer will not work here. Well, technically, it might work on AM and SW, but you would lose FM altogether. Yes, I know there is nothing on 42-50 mc these days anyway...but one could adapt an old baby monitor, designed to operate in the old FM band, into a transmitter? I thought of doing that once, even bought a baby monitor at a yard sale. Never did it, though, and the monitor is long gone now.

I would prefer to keep the circuit original if at all possible. That's one man's opinion.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I 100% agree for keeping it as original as possible. When I rewired this set, I bought a few rolls of #20 stranded wire with cotton jackets, thinking that it would appear original. (Mistake). Would've cost more to exchange it shipping wise than to bother with it, so I thought. (Another mistake). Anyway, back to many more hours of searching (Did I say weeks worth originally? I meant months, so far). It seems like there ought to be at least one of those floating around out there, somewhere.Icon_think