Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mershon Caps - no not those

We have all seen the copper Mershon caps in a 70 or 90, but have you ever seen one like this?

Two times 8mfd - now 2 X 10mfd at 630V.

It's a Crosley.

That's a strange one. Looks like it's ready for launch.

I have but it was a long time ago. I'm pretty sure it was in a Crosley, early AC set like a Gem Box.
Terry

I've seen them, used in some Rogers sets in the early 1930s, DeForest Crosley too maybe, also in an Atwater Kent I think, in fact some of the first Mershon electrolytics I ever saw were those big can types. I have a Rogers that had an aluminum Mallory replacement for one of those, it was a pair of dry electrolytics inside, some Sparton radios used them too I think. That may have been why they were squat, an early dry electrolytic design.
Regards
Arran

Keep in mind, that one is bigger around than a beer can.
Yes it is a Crosley 57.

That was the thing that stuck out in my mind was it had such a long strap to go around it(compared to most others I've seen.) Also National might have used them also in there early doghouse power supplies.
Terry

Another observation is that many manufactures mounted them contacts up, rather than down, like in a Philco. I have them in an ERLA mounted that way as well.

These, I made, but you get the idea.

That was a popular style cap for the early amateur transmitter builder.

I've seen a number of them in that capacity (ha!) used with AWA retro projects.

Faradon was another company making that style.

Dennis

Pacing the cage...

Sparton used caps like that (not copper though) in their early models like the 931 and 400.
[Image: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3297/45665...ac2a_z.jpg] [Image: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2792/41207...ff49_z.jpg]

I guess it would depend on if the Spartons still had their original filter cans, or even which production run they were, one of my Rogers sets had what I am sure was a Mallory replacement mounted in the clamp. Believe it or not the capacitor manufacturers and parts jobbers used to offer bolt in replacements for these things for a number of years after most radio manufacturers quit using them.
Regards
Arran

All of the ones I have found with the contacts up are still full of electrolite, and green crud.