Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

It's Alive!!!

Yes that's right, my 41-608 is alive thanks to all that helped out in my introduction thread and to everyone who's contributed in the various threads on this wonderful phorum. The broadcast band works perfectly, sound is great - no static, I'm assuming the SW band isn't picking up anything because I don't have an external antenna and the radio's currently in my basement.

Now the nitty gritty part, getting the phono working.
The Motor was not turning at all so I completely dismantled, cleaned, greased and oiled it and at least got it moving, however it is far too weak even when removed from the chassis and spinning without load on my bench. I was able to align the beam of light head, the stylus seems to be picking up the sound from the record but nothing is coming out of the speaker.

I'm concerned about trying to get a motor for it, or getting the beam of light rebuilt only to find that there's some other issue to be dealt with. I'm looking for some advice as to how I should proceed, if at all. I don't have a lot of money invested in this set yet but don't want to spend too much on it either.

Thanks

Icon_clapIcon_clapIcon_clap
Good job!

Okay, sometimes my questions are very long winded so this one I'll keep short and sweet.

Is there a way to test this radio's phono capability without connecting it to my beam of light turntable? I don't have a different phonograph and I'm not sure if I could connect one as the lead for the phono plug of this chassis looks to be a male RCA plug coming out of what appears to be a transformer
mounted to the inside of the cabinet.

Any test involving Oscilloscopes or complicated testing equipment may not be possible as I have none.

Let me know if pictures will help.

Mr. Grumpy, I would suggest that you touch the "hot" lead coming from BOL cartridge with a finger. You should get a nice hum out of the radio in the phono mode. Doing this on the receiver end will be easier.

Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

I'm assuming you have looked at the info on Philco Repair Bench for the adjustments for the BOL if you say you've adjusted the light beam. I have a 41-629 with the BOL changer that I got to work pretty good. I ended up replacing the old cell with a cell from a money changer and had plenty of output. I don't know how much voltage your old cell is developing, or if you have the original lamp (I do). After all of my restoration to the chassis and changer I adjusted a compensator in the radio (for the BOL) so that when I swithced between the radio broadcast and the recording the volume was about the same. One advantage with the cell I used for replacement is the intensity of the lamp (RF from radio) is quite a bit dimmer and I would assume prolong the life of the extinct lamp.

I looked at the schematic for the 608 and I didn't see where any adjustments are for the BOL. They refer to the index.

I know little about the BOL but if your receiver does not get a good hum when touching the input from the BOL, this dog will not hunt. Please give that a try. If you get a nice hum, then go on to the BOL. You could have a problem with the switch to go to phono or part of the circuit that handles the phono. Divide and conquer. Make sure the radio portion is active for the phono input
JMHO Jerry.

Thanks Jerry, I touched the cable coming out of the receiver and got a loud hum, then I tested the wire at the cartridge and got lots of good hum there as well - On to the BOL! I've been in touch with West-tech and think I'm going to send it out to them, they may even have a replacement motor for the turntable. I can't even imagine what it'll be like having this fully operational, it's an incredible sense of satisfaction as it all comes together.

Excellent news! Congrats!

It's not how bad you mess up, it's how well you can recover.

Great Grump, you have figured out where the problem is. Doesn't it feel great? Glad I could give you a little help. I hope the BOL goes well, that is something that I really would not want to attack. A regular cartridge yes, that little beast, no. Off to the experts!

Jerry

Congrads, you've earned yourself a dancing banana! [Image: http://pw2.netcom.com/~wa2ise/radios/banana.gif]

The 41-608 has an internal antenna (loop) that should pull in shortwave well....

Thanks again all.

I've since tried connecting my cell phone to the phono input and was able to hear my music loud and clear. I actually connected the wires from my earphone output from the cell phone directly to the two leads at the photocell. So I guess this means I either have a bad photocell or I haven't adjusted it properly. I'm not going to worry about it right now, I'm working on a custom motor for the turntable.

I'm hoping the shortwave works when I bring the unit out of the basement (after I refinish the cabinet).

Will keep you posted

Hey All, Just a quick general question I'm hoping you all can help me with?

I'm trying to get the turntable working and currently have the motor pulled from it. The only power
going to it should be the 3 volts to power the light bulb in the 'BEAM OF LIGHT' (I always say that as if
I'm announcing the arrival of a super hero).

Here's the issue, and you may have to use your imagination to visualize this.
When the power to the pick up is off and I gently rub the bottom or side of the tone arm it feels very smooth
to the touch. When the power is on you can feel an incredibly light resistance, almost as if the entire tone arm (and turntable if I rub the changer supports) is electrically charged. I should mention that the radio and turntable are not
currently in the cabinet and I've tried to make sure all ground wires are connected to the turntable chassis and tone arm.

How to address this?
Will the cabinet act as a ground when everything is back in place?

Hey All, I just wanted to update you briefly.

I've got the radio working great, and I've replaced the photo sensor and rubber gaskets on the beam of light
pick up. The last piece of the puzzle is a good phono motor which I placed an add in the 'wanted' forum for.

I bought a 78 rpm geared AC motor which works but the gears are a little loud and the motor speed is a bit variable
so it makes the sound 'wobble'. I'm desperate for a direct drive motor that will work for me but I've also contemplated trying
to build a pulley and belt system underneath to drive it with a modern turntable motor. Does anyone know if i'd just experience the same 'wobbly sound' issue? I guess the best way to describe it is the speed of the motor increases or decreases randomly, not by a huge amount, but enough for you to hear the difference in pitch.

If anyone has any suggestions or maybe a motor available, please let me know.
I've contacted west tech but I don't think they can help me.

Any suggestions would help.

So what is the problem with the original motor?? why is it weak??
Terry