Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

42-400 chassis to cabinet mating

2:16/13 AND LO. It is written. That on the 300th hour of out of cabinet operation, the chassis was successfully reunited within its' original wooden containment, ending a 40 year drama of lonely and isolated separation. At first, the wooden structure rejected the offering, being obstinate in its' desire to remain mute, but none the less regal in stature... The chassis played perfectly fine out of the cabinet, all push buttons operated as intended, BUT... every time I just sat the chassis in the cabinet (even though no attaching bolts or screws were installed, nor were any metal parts touching or binding against the structure), the push buttons malfunctioned. STEP 1: remove and adjust buttons-(which, of course did not need adjustment. Worked flawlessly on the bench). Step 2: REPEAT STEP #1- 7 more times!Icon_wtf You know what they say: "the 8th time's the charm". At any rate, she played for 10 straight hours last night/this morning without a hitch. Transformer was just tepid. Nice volume, tone, treble and bass response with no snap, crackle or pops. I am now in Philco Nirvana, and just in time to give it to my sister for her birthday tomorrow! What timing! (Haha, it was supposed to be ready for her this past Christmas, before I mangled the 4th if- better late than never). Yes, I'll be touching up some spots later- had bad gouges in the top which I sanded out, not too bad. Here are some photos to appease the masses: (I'll text later with my rotary dial cellphone):         [attachment=1505         Just a couple more pictures... those spots were filler. Blended in the areas. Looks nicer in person...Got tons more pics, just have to put them in photo bucket. Sister LOVED her present!!! Oops... old pic... others didn't come out. I'll try again later.

Attached Files Image(s)

Did you remove the escutcheon prior to installing the chassis? If not, there are two 1/4" machine threaded bolts behind the escutcheon, which hold the dial in place. Without these bolts, the pushbuttons will go out of place every time you push one.

Removal of the escutcheon also allows for the pushbuttons to go into place nicely.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Affirmative, Ron. I actually made a gasket for the backside of the escutcheon also.(I could see where there was one, originally. And yes, I know of the bolts of which you speak. Like I said, I didn't even attach ANY screws, bolts, escutcheons. Nothing. Just set the chassis on the shelf in the cabinet. Didn't bump it to the wood, at all! Had the rubber feet on it, also. Worked perfectly swell on the bench-NOT in the cabinet.It has worked for months on the bench. (I guess they don't call me Thaumaturgist for nothing)