Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Philco Shadowgraph meter, the old style, coil removal

Jerry

I am pretty sure that you could use a sewing machine as a base for creating a winding machine. But the way it is, unmodified, I doubt it would work with enameled copper wire.

Actually I saw some company in CA, I think, making some not too expensive winding machines; the problem is figuring what wire they are good for, but the company is an American one so a phone call could resolve that.

I am not a mechanical buff so even if I had a sewing machine, and I do have one (my wife followed in footsteps of my mother - she got herself one and never used it) I'd probably never modded it due to my sheer mechanical ineptitude, or as we say in my language, my hands growing out from a wrong place.

And then I do believe in people specializing in various fields, so if someone is good at winding stuff and does not charge your arm and leg for it, I will gladly pay the price. Let the guy have an extra 50 bucks and me have a finished product about 1 year sooner than I would otherwise have it.

Well, it has just come back.
The resistance is 1.1K, don't know how many turns but supposedly they went by repair manuals, and I also pointed them to that article at Philcorepairbench. They at some point mentioned #41 wire and not #40, I will have to ask them what wire they ended up using.

I took a guess about the polarity as they used two white wires to make the leads. I guessed it right as the shadow seems to narrow when I tune in.

Not everything is working like it should, and I have to check a few things.

One is, if they used #41 wire and not #40 then it takes less turns to achieve 1.1K, but what really matters is that number of turns as this is what creates the field, so with less turns it may be weaker.
Then again, I think the current icreases when it is "Off-tune" so the stronger current widens the shadow, not narrows it, so I may be OK and it is the Off-tune width that would suffer. And it is acceptable.

When the radio starts though, the shadow goes to the most narrow. Don't know whether that is an indicator or not.

I guiess I will have to re-read the procedure at Philcorepairbench.

I will have to ask experts in the Philco documentaion a couple of questions in my Philco 18 thread.

It is normal for the shadow to narrow, then widen, as the set warms up upon initial turn-on.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN