Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Thoughts on a McMurdo Silver Masterpiece VI Speaker

NOTE: I corrected my previous post above. The Jensen Super-Giant used in the McMurdo Silver Masterpiece VI has a dual field coil with DC resistances of 680 ohms and 8000 ohms.

Thanks, guys, for your additional input and comments. I do appreciate hearing from you good folks...and I also appreciate all the words of support for my idea! Icon_smile

Codefox, thank you for the offer, but I'm committed to the new 18 inch woofer and 4 inch tweeter now - in fact, they are supposed to arrive tomorrow. Maybe you can sell yours? All you have to do is hint at the magic words - "WESTERN ELECTRIC" - and you too can sell your speakers for thousand$$$! Icon_rolleyes

Today, I went to Lowe's and bought a couple steel strips. I will be cutting these to fit, drilling holes in them, and using them to suspend the 4 inch tweeter in front of the 18 inch woofer, right in the center where it will not interfere with the woofer's cone. When done, it will look much like a Scott 800B speaker - a homemade coaxial.

I'll post pictures, too.

It is going to be a while before I know how well it sounds, though. I need to get the McMurdo's power supply chassis rechromed before I can rebuild it. And I will also have to rebuild the tuner. I am looking forward to this project! Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thoughts on a McMurdo Silver Masterpiece VI Speaker - by Ron Ramirez - 02-24-2013, 08:26 PM