Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-690.. news from the land of ARGHHHH..

Well.. new revolting developments:

1) I was wrong, it's not working on all 5 bands.. it was just the noise level in my shop getting into the IF's. The top two bands are dead. The LO coils, at least the one for the 4th band, seem to have continuity, but no voltage gets to G2 of the LO (6A8 ). This would seem to leave the front section of the bandswitch as the likely culprit.

2) I found out why the RF section and the antenna terminals wouldn't talk to each other: All five antenna input coils have open primaries! Now, that in itself isn't a huge problem, since even I could rewind those primaries easily enough, but.. the aft section of the bandswitch is fused an immovable, and the shaft spins inside it.. so the entire section will need replacement.

Now, I'm a pretty adventurous soul, but I don't know if I'm up to tearing apart that sled to try to fix both ends of the bandswitch. I might be willing to give it a shot if someone has the parts I can buy from them. Otherwise, I'm open to farming that job out. I already have nearly $500 into this chassis (which as I said is an AWESOME performer, even with the problems it has! I really anticipate someday having it in full bloom!) so another $100-200 for someone to fix the sled is no biggie.

Now for a bit of good news to offset all that: The IF spread is now working 100%, and does an awesome job. It lets me hear the crisp highs that my little AM TX is capable of producing just wonderfully.

Also, changing out that 1uf in the tweeter crossover to a 5uf definately gave a much more balanced range, since the main power amp is designed to punch up the bass.

And gee I thought I had all the luck! What do you think is causing the contacts to stick?? You may be able to gently pry them apart a bit just to free it up. As for the shaft issue I would try something like hot glue to secure the shaft to the switch rotor. Some switches you can remove the shaft without too much work which makes it easier to get to or service the contacts.
Terry

Ouch. Sounds like you are needing an RF unit. The 38-116 Code 125 RF unit is the same, if you choose to find a parts set.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I got brave and removed the input section of the bandswitch (not as bad as I thought it was going to be). Attached pic shows what I found. Still suspect lightning, but it could have been another voltage source, such as a short to an AC line. Definately voltage that shouldn't have been there.

At least the coils are salvagable, I just need to rewind the primaries, just a few turns on each.

Any chance of any of the other 5 band radios having the same switch wafer?

Also, I got a better chance to check all the coils once I got the Antenna section out. I found that the primaries on all EXCEPT the Band 1 coil are open. The Band 1 coil seems to have an open secondary.

There was a modification made to this unit. Not sure whether it's factory or not, but a mica cap has been placed in series with the primary of the Band 1 coil on the side going to chassis ground. This is why I got an open indication on the primary of that coil initially.

Check your PMs BAD.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.