Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Got the 37-116.

Got the 37-116 we were talking about earlier in a different thread.

It will require lots of work.

I never saw a chassis that heavy. I took it out of the car and barely was able to carry it home to the second floor. It is probably good 45-50 pounds.
Chassis is mostly dirty, some rust, nothing egregious.
Cabinet has scratches.
The dial has a broken piece. (I have it).
Cabinet's chassis support inside has some damage.

In short, I have my work cut out for me.

But first I want to finish the 38-15 and my Zenith.
The 37-116 is a warm time of the year project - will require working outside.
I may make it my first ever cabinet restoration attempt.

Will need a lot of help with it. I have zero to negative experience doing that. But....I feel emboldened. Icon_lol

I thought you would have it playing by now!!!
GL
Terry

Looking forward to pictures and your progress. Should be an adventure.
Waiting for Radio Daze to forward a replacement dial for the 38-116 on my bench and get it off the bench! They are heavy. The chassis is finished and would like to move it out to start on another Philco.
Regards, Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Ah...no squat-stoop-squint version of 37-116 Icon_smile
Cool radio.

Well, as I said, this is the 3.5-th in line. First I need to finish that 18, and this ain't gonna happen before they fix the shadograph.
Then probably 38-15.
Then Z-8G605.
And then this.
I am stopping buying stuff right now as I like to keep my sanity and thinking of 3 projects last of which is 37-116 is unnerving. Icon_smile

Plus there is a possible move coming before next fall and possibly earlier, so every radio added is the radio hauled.

Congrats on the 37-116! Looks like we are both in the same boat now. Sounds like mine might be in slightly better condition, but I am planning on a full cabinet restore as well as the chassis. I'll have to have the speaker re-coned as well. Whatever it was that tore the grille cloth went through the speaker cone as well. Icon_sad

I feel a 37-116 party starting! Icon_clap
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

I could come to the party too!!!!
Mike, While you are finishing up the other you may want to put together a stand to hold chassis while you are working on it. It definitely is pretty unmanageable and hard to handle without some help. Very easy to break the dial. You can use the studs that extend from the chassis to mount a wooden brace/ frame. I'm sure you will be very happy with this project once it's all finished up and playing great!!
Terry
ps are you over by St Vlad's?? Was over in the neighborhood but was very short on time.

Terry

Close enough; after all it is still Jackson. About 10-15 minutes or so. Thompson Bridge will eventually go to 528 and Bennets Mills rd, and I am about where the bennets Mills crosses New Prospect.

As for the stand, yes I am sure I will have to come up with something; the chassis is quite unwieldy and if it falls it will do damage to whatever it is it fall on, floor, foot or big toe.