Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need part for radio

Near Philly???
Terry

Step 1 after a good close look at the chassis would be to order the caps you need to replace. Look at your parts list and write up a list of those caps between perhaps .001mfds to the electrolytics in the 1 to 10 or 20 mfds. No need for caps in the mmfd or often referred as pf range. They are more than likely just fine. If you need help just ask. Many sources for the caps, you might try Mark Oppat. JustRadios is great as well but shipping is slow as they are in Canada and customs takes some time. Replace those caps (especially the electrolytics ) and your on your way to a hum free radio. Nice looking radio you have there.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Whew!!, after reading all the preceeding posts, glad that power transformer survived!! Note to newbies! Never, ever,ever, plug these sets in and turn on the switch until the power supply caps have been replaced and check all wiring. And always check the field coil before applying power also. Only after that, you can safely apply ac with a variac and apply the ac voltage up very slowly and monitor the amperage current draw to primary of power transformer. May I nickname you "Lucky"?
ol"Tex.

I had no idea it was dangerous. Could I have gotten shocked by just plugging it in and not mowing anything?

What are caps and where do they go. Lol. If there not expensive ill just replace all of them. By the way how much do you think this radio is worth as is? And how much if I get it working?

Dave, after reading your last post, it appears your thinking about some money for the radio and that is great. With your knowledge level of repair, your much better off selling it without getting into the repair aspect. Most of us like a radio that has not been touched by someone who really has no experience in what they are doing. Don't take this personally as it is not intended to be. It is not a really valuable radio, but nice. Being a console limits your audience for purchase as the price to ship is probably as much as its retail price. If you within driving distance from me I would probably offer you $100 or so. Others can offer more opinions. If your thinking of selling it, don't even try to "make it work".
Just my opinion.
Jerry

I intentionally do not buy radios that have been restored. Even if restored by knowledgeable person. Though more often then not it is not the case.
I want a radio that has been brought to life by me, and me alone.

This said, I recently restored (to the singing condition - there is still work to do, like replacing speaker wires, shadograph etc) an 18 and whoever touched it before me (it was a claim it worked) fully disregarded 1) white foam spreading from under the cap of one electrolytic cap, 2) disconnecting inside caps inside the backelites when throwing replacement caps across them, and such. So I had to remove the replacements, gut the backelites, restuff them, gut the electrolytics, restuff them....etc. Had the radio not been "restored and playing" (I was not crazy enough to check that claim when I saw that electrolytic cap) my job would be easier.

And the last thing: I am, though not a pro radio restorer (and far from it), still a pro EE. So when restoring radios I do not have to spend time learning electronics as I go.
Still, I find it to be a not very profitable occupation - if I were to sell any of my radios, none of them would recoup the costs of the restoration. Possibly it would pay for parts, but I would not earn anything, especially considering my engineering hourly rates - no one will pay that much to restore an old radio unless it is a truly rare piece that is truly an investment.

In the times of yore those fixing radios were fully equipped for that, and the parts were cheap and available - it was then current technology, so fixing radios could be profitable. Today it is hard to do, and even though I am sure that can be done in theory, but probably not on an amateur level part-time.

So, if you decided "I will fix it and sell it for profit" - unless you are really lucky and find someone really stupid with money to burn.....unlikely.

You either become a full-time pro who does nothing else, or just do it for fun like most of us do.

Well said Mortz.Icon_clap Better than me. We don't want to discourage people who want to get into the hobby, but mostly, if new, you won't make a dime after investing a lot of time and less that $100 for parts. Dave, if you want to fix the radio for personal pleasure, this is the place to learn and enjoy the hobby. If you got that radio on the really cheap you might list it on Craigs list or E-Pray. Also with some good pictures list it on the Phorum here in the for sale one. You must put a buy price you can also add "Or best offer". I would rather, if you like the radio, have us help you to repair it for your personal use.
Jerry

Dave, don't let anyone scare you away. If you can solder, follow instructions and are willing to learn, you can do this. There are plenty of Phorum members that would be quite happy to help you. Just remember, everyone here started out with no knowledge of electronics or radios. There are some high voltages, just use some common sense, UNPLUG THE RADIO when you are working on it. When it you have to take voltage readings, it can be done safely, volt meters have long insulated probes so you don't even have to get your fingers close. So, if you ready for a little challenge, let's give it a go!

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

I kinda would like it for my personal use, but I don't really have the time. And I def. don't have the patience. This site and its users have truly been helpful. Thank you. With that being said. I think I'm going to sell it. I will post pictures later. Thanks again.