Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

MODEL 46 HELP

First it does not seem to have eletroc-Cap.
Second it has 3 wire wound resistors.
one in a bake light 250 ohms
two not #30, #39 on the parts
My question is how many watts should
I get if I need to replace them.
http://s1289.beta.photobucket.com/user/T..._46_Philco

Need complete model number i.e. 46-250. Or just post schematic.
One source for schematics is http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/

Don't know if you know it or not but the model 46 is a 110vDC only set. You will need to find a 110vdc source before trying to do anything with that set. It's similar to the model 20 as it is a trf job. You may want to send some pics to Ron of it for the Gallery, he just has the illustration for now.
Terry
ps most of the tubes in it are a bit hard to come by so be careful!

He gave the correct model number - model 46.

http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/images/46.jpg

Trog, keep in mind this is a 110 volt DC set - it will not operate on AC line voltage!

Neat pictures, by the way. The cabinet is not an original Philco cabinet but is an aftermarket/third party cabinet. Yes, companies existed back in ye olden days which built custom cabinets which people could order for their radios, removing them from the original cabinet and then installing in the third party cabinet.

Edit: Terry posted as I was typing. Icon_thumbup Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Wondered why no Electro-Caps. was getting the cord ready to light it up. I will make a 110vdc power supply. THX would have beeen a mess.

Only the #17 was missing. I have found two they are on the way. Yet need to check #14 out. No settings for it on my hickok 600a. The ballast #2 seems ok as well. Both 71A s are good as well.

TROG Wrote:was getting the cord ready to light it up.

If you had plugged it straight into an AC outlet, yep, you probably would have lit it up! BZZZZZZZZZTTT!!! Icon_eek

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Just wondered if any one knew about these wire wound resistor. The number on #39 starts with a 4. Good chance its a 250 ohm reads 260 still with in 10%. Just was worried about the wattage if I do replace it. Or should I just replace both of them out right?

I was replacing the caps like I would normally do but it hit me. Since this is a DC the caps are just charging. I can not get the same voltage rating for #34. This is the combined .13 uf, 3.5 uf, 1 uf, 1uf caps. They have a voltage rating 1200v and 800v. I found 1600v and 2000v caps. Anyone know how critical this might be in this Radio? Or am I over thinking this DC radio.

Voltage ratings of caps depend on their function. I don't know which caps you are talking about, but caps that handle audio frequencies in the final output stages often have high voltage ratings because of high voltage AC transients, not because of the DC voltage. I'd use the same voltage ratings as the originals.

Maybe others can comment about this specific radio and about these specific capacitors, or if modern capacitors are capable of handling transients better than the old ones did. 2000 v sounds very high, but 1000 to 1600 volts is kind of typical for some output stage capacitors.

John Honeycutt

I looked at the ATwater Model 20 TRF is very similar to this radio. #34 the two caps .13uf and 3.5 uf are blocking caps. 1200v . They do not have any AC since its DC. My best guess since study the ATwater is caps might charge to 1600vdc making it about 400v more dangerous to work with. Other than that no problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHMbrXRi3Uw

I'm dont know this RADIO enough to be sure with it. I just need those caps and a few others replaced. Also making a 115vdc power supply to light it off.

Which might be pretty and dangerous. Or it could be dangerously pertty bad.

I have found a lil about the #14 is like the 24A except the filaments are not 2.5 they are 13.3 to 14 v

I enjoyed the Atwater-Kent video.

Be careful not to confuse the fact that the 46 radio is powered by DC with the concept of radio frequency and audio frequency signals across any capacitor. There's lots of AC at radio frequencies and audio frequencies in any radio, or else it wouldn't work.

It looks from my schematic of the model 46 that cap 34 (pins 4 and 6) blocks the + and - power from shorting, but it also provides a return path for AC audio frequencies from the plate of the #17 tube through the primary of transformer 26. I think those AF voltages are attenuated by resistors 37 and 38, but because the same line carries the DC bias for the screen grid from all of the #14 RF amplifier tubes, there could be considerable RF and AF voltages across capacitor 34.

Philco engineers wouldn't have put high voltage capacitors in this radio if they didn't need to, for reasons of cost, so be careful about changing them. As I said before, though, modern capacitors might handle high voltage transients better than the old ones, but I think I'd still defer to the original design specs.

Wiser heads than mine, with more experience with TRF receivers, might advise you differently.

John Honeycutt

Mr Honeycutt
Thank you I am just stuck in a AC concept on the Radio. Getting my mind around this TRF (DC) has been hard. I have not given up yet. It's the concept of the AF part of the cap I did not get out of the vedio. I will try to find the correct voltages and size of cap. THx

Bradley Rush

up dated the schematics and put some more pics

Has anyone restored a model 46?