Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another 16B, more fun

Just got in another 16B (I liked the other one so well I thought I'd pick up another just because I could.

This one's in much rougher shape than the other in many ways, not as good a cabinet, tuner is virtually hanging loose on top of the chassis, volume control shaft is broken off, tuning mech is bent and of course the rubber idlers are all toast.

After a preliminary check for low resistance paths and finding none (only completely open electrolytics!), I subbed in a temporary filter cap and brought it up slowly on my variac. No noise, but no hum, either.

After this, I cleaned the bandswitch and hooked up an antenna (after removing the dial assembly, so I could actually move the tuner), brought it up again, and still no noise. HOWEVER, tuning up the dial, there was the familiar AFN signal and down a bit from there was my in house AM signal.

On to a quick IF alignment (someone had "tightened all the screws" and voila! actual noise, and the extra reception that goes along with it.

And guess what else? ALL 5 BANDS WORK!!! All the way across the dial! Even the shadow meter works.

Of course, now I need to start the complete recap and change the out of tolerance resistors. But that's the fun, isn't it? Icon_smile

Cool! It is fun to bring one back to life! What are you using for your in-house AM transmitter?

I'm currently using an old AM-88, can't remember the manufacturer at the moment. They were made in California.

Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbup