Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What is it and why?

My latest project is going to be a Philco 90 Highboy. I am getting a list of caps and resistors together and came across two items under the chassis that I can't identify or find in the schematic. They were obviously added at a later time. Can or should these be eliminated? The chassis is a mid production, (1 #47 tube). One part is wired between resistor #25 and cap #23, and the other tied to the junction of parts #18-19 then goes to resistor #20. I am guessing they are replacement resistors added to or the previous tech left the originals were in place?

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013882.pdf

Thanks, Don

Attached Files Image(s)

What you are pointing to looks to me like a paper capacitor without its cardboard sleeve/covering. Eliminate it, making sure everything else is connected according to the schematic.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

It does look like a shucked paper cap!

Sounds fair. There is wax visible on each end, so that makes sense. I won't try to figure out why they are there, and rewire the new caps and resistors per schematic. I also noticed both electrolytics were tied to ground rather than one going to centertap. Other than that the rest seems to be original.

Agree, if it ain't on the original schematic, probably not needed or worse.

Bear in mind that now obsolete beacons at near IF frequency sometimes caused interference decades ago, but I think they are all gone.