Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Radiola 60 in a console cabinet.

Did a little selling and trading with a guy last night and I ended up with this odd critter. It appears to be a Radiola 60 in a custom, highboy cabinet. I saw this radio a few months back and thought it to be a Frankenradio, but it appears it isn't. Good news is I practically had it given to me, bad news is it needs help. The power transformer is definitely fried and he did have it going using the power supply from his good 60 while the cabinet was being redone. Even so, he said the input transformers are so-so. The only other bad thing is: It had an AC rectified speaker in it when the guy found it, but he used it in a customer's radio that was missing the same type of speaker. Icon_sad Luckily, it appears to also be made to accept a 100A speaker (without the case) and he is going to let me have one he has for it. Other pluses: I have all the tubes but the 80 and the cabinet is presentable, even still as the clip on back!

No matter where you go, there you are.

Beautiful piece. have fun!

I thought this unit was kind of unique really. It's not overly heavy, but because the power supply is still mounted like the table unit this unit is rather wide. It goes well with my Radiola 62 (Brunswick) and Radiola 66 though.

You should have bought my 64 and you would have a very nice Radiola family.Icon_smile

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=5116

Looks good, Congrats.

Glenn

Happily back in Illinois..not.

I am going to try and find a Radiola 64 and a 67. I thought I had a 64 last year, but it was just an empty cabinet. Icon_sad

Thats an interesting radio you have there jayce. As someone fairly new to this I find myself attracted to the some of the different style radios. Though the philco is still my fav. Good find!!

That is one interesting property of those late 20s RCA sets, along with their Brunswick and Bosch look alikes, the power supply is mounted on a separate chassis that is connected via a screw terminal board. So it's no surprise that your friend was able to borrow a power supply from a working model 60 to use in this set to try it.
If you have the original power supply the power transformer, chokes, and filter caps are all mounted in cans potted in tar. The one advantage to this is that you can hide the replacement power transformer inside the old can and have it still look original as long as it will fit. How easily you can find a replacement is another story, you will need a power transformer with a 2.5 volt winding for the seven #27s, a 5 volt winding for the #80, and another 5 volt winding for the #71A.
Regards
Arran