Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 807

Began work on Zenith 807. electronically no problem- recapped, etc.- plays great.
Problem is with dial glass and dial mechanism. The tabs holding the glass are broken off. In fact glass was inside the radio. Any ideas for holding the glass? There was evidence of a cork gasket that is mostly missing.
The dial mechanism is the type with a plastic wheel that is turned by tuning knob that has a small wheel/channel that spins the plastic wheel. This works barely. There is evidence of something on the edge of the plastic wheel.
I have a few thoughts on this but I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks,
Joe

I only dealt with 9S262, so the tabs are screw-held. Are the 807's tabs of ""bend and hold" type?

As for the gasket, they all fall apart after that much time. I used dense foam weatherstrip which I bought in Home Depot. I used the adhesive side to glue to the backpanel, after cutting the slits for the through posts, and then simply put the glass on and screwed it with existing tabs. It works fine.

Thanks morzh.
The 807's tabs are bend and fold. The dense foam weatherstrip is a great idea. I did not know if a little clear silicone would hold the glass. The trim piece on the outside hides the outer rim of the glass.
Joe

Yes, the outer trim in mine hides the rim, so whatever you do it will be masked.
However I would not use silicon, as then one day you might want it off and instead of simply taking it off you will be cutting the silicon and then cleaning it to be able to apply the new bead.

If there is at all space on the stubs left of the broken tabs, maybe you could simply drill holes in them and screw somehow some improvised extensions made from some metal strips, and then use those to hold your glass. BTW if the metal used was brass or even steel, those are solderable if cleaned well enough and the iron is powerful enough. So a piece of a tin can could be soldered to those. Or if a screw is too much, riveting could help.
Depends on how much of the stubs are left.

Thanks again morzh,
No room for the screws. Will try to resolder. It looks like the original tabs were soldered. I wonder if super glue would work to hold new tabs?
The plastic wheel is in good shape. I think there might have been a rubber liner in the tuning wheel, now long gone. That is probabaly the material on the plastic. Will try tiny o-ring on this.
Where in Jersey are you?
Thanks again,
Joe

Have no experience with superglue, epoxy might work. If can be soldered, I'd go for soldering.

I am in Jackson, the one that has the Great adventure. (believe it or not there are two jacksons in NJ....only in NJ!)

morzh,
Not far away. Down 206 towards Hammonton.
Will go with the solder. Will let you know how I make out. Will post photo.
Thanks,
Joe

Yeah about 52 miles if take 537 to 206.