Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-1262 recap

Hello all,

I am steadily working on the chassis of my 48-1262. I've replaced the paper and electrolytics and a few resistors. I am also learning a lot along the way since this is my first restoration.

I've also discovered with my Heathkit capacitor tester that all the mica caps are open. Is it likely that ALL of them are bad? I've read where they tend not to open or short, but all of mine test open.

Do I have any other options on testing the micas?

Thanks,
Terry
KE5YUM

Terry, I would be highly suspicious of your testing. If they are mica caps and there are some caps that look like mica but are not, I would leave them alone. If they are say under a couple hundred pfd according to the schematic, they are no doubt micas.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Agree with Jerry on this one. I would skip replacing them unless you have a problem that you can trace back to a mica cap.
Or go and buy a digital cap meter. That will tell you if the value has shifted but won't give it a voltage breakdown test.
The other
Terry N3GTE

Thanks. I checked them again last night, and they all check fine. Must have been operator error. Anyway, I have another issue that I will put in another post. Thanks. Terry