Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

116x Restoration

Does anyone know how many amps the 116X should be pulling? The one I am working on is pulling 1.24 amps. I'm wondering if this is high or not.

Thanks

-Keith

Sounds a bit high to me, going by the secondary currents listed on Nostalgia Air. These add up to ~950mA, although some of this difference could be core/hysteresis losses in the transformer.

That puts you right around 100wts.
Terry

Those values are the ratings with the AC line voltage of 115 volts, I believe.

Chuck

Brenda,

What were you looking at when you came up with the 950ma figure? I've been trying to figure out how to determine how many amps/ma's the set should be pulling.

-Keith

Keith,

Will look at the amp/wattage/voltage specs in the 116X Service Bulletin when I get home from work this evening.

Chuck

I looked at the current ratings on the secondary windings on the Rider's schematic, and did the math approximation from those with necessary multiplication and division to bring them to the 110 volt line voltage. It's only the barest approximation in this case, though, because I did not figure in transformer losses and didn't use precise measurements, only ballpark estimates.

According to Service Bulletin No. 222-A (June 1935) for the 116X (Code 122), the power consumption is 135 watts at the rated line voltage of 115 VAC. 135 divided by 115 equals 1.17 amps. W = I x V or I = w / V

Chuck

(Corrected my amps error. Thanks Brenda for the nudge on my Math-zeimers. 5-15-13)

To get a really accurate reading of power consumption, you need a wattmeter which takes into consideration the power factor of the load. A reactive load like a power transformer will draw an inductive current out of phase with the applied voltage. So an additional current will flow, but no additional power will be dissipated because the voltage and current are out of phase. Therefore the indicated current measured by an ammeter will be higher than what you would expect from the wattage rating.

I bought one of these a while back and found it very useful. It measures Volts, Amps and actual Watts, along with Volt-Amperes which is what you get when multiplying AC volts times amps without taking the reactive load power factor into account.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/P3-P4400-Kill-A-...460f2577c9

Thanks everyone!

After dropping the line voltage down to ~108vac with a bucking transformer they set is only pulling just over an amp 1.08A. It seems happy now.

-Keith