Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pilot T601 FM Tuner

Does anyone know the value of the osc ceramic trimmer cap located on the tuner???
The schematic on Rick's Pilottuner site has the it as T7 but no value...also there are no voltage readings for it..TKS in advance....

Because this is a variable cap there is no specific value. Nostalgia Air has a schematic but it doesn't have a parts list. There must be some capacitance range specified for these trimmers. I poked around in my literature, but nothing gave a range. Is this trimmer mounted on the tuning condenser?

John Honeycutt

Yes it is mounted on the tuning cap on the osc section.
I have recapped the radio but station are all unds 91 mhz.
108 comes in @ 91..by reading thru threads on other forums and on Rick's Pilot Tuner web site that cap is a common failure point and when it opens it does just that.When I tried to move the stations up or down nothing happens.
Thks for the reply TTYL..

I've never tried it, but I've heard of people restoring trimmers and padders by substituting a piece of plastic for the mica. If your mechanical parts aren't too badly worn or damaged it might be possible. You might search elsewhere on this forum or ask here to see if anyone could advise on how to go about it.

I once removed a bad mica cap from a Philco and opened it up to see what's inside. I might still have it. If I do, I would be glad to send you the mica if you want to try it, but plastic would probably be easier.

John Honeycutt

Could just be crud of some sort inside. My standard procedure is tighen fully and record precicely the turns and fractions because you will forget later. Next open completely up, and carefully remove mica. It is extremely fragile. Next blast out the contacts and screw with Deoxit 5, and very carefully clean the mica with same. Leave everything alone for a day, and reassemble. Back off the exact turns which should get you close to original. No guarantees if magic fingers have been there ahead of you, but usually less than two turns from shut will do. Alignment will confirm, which you should do anyway.

Yes, a piece of old fsahioned clear "document protecter" can and has been used by me successfully to restore a "barn fresh" trimmer.

Best of luck!

This is a ceramic cap and I don't believe it has the mica strip....
It does have a number on it N3003-13? what does it mean ?????

I'm thinking that the number should not be run together like that. It looks like an N300 (negative temperature coefficient) with a value of 3-13 pf.

This, though not a ceramic, should work well for you:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Spra...e0HvaBM%3d

As Codefox said, a piece of clear plastic used as document protectors works well as a substitute for old, worn/broken/missing mica. I have used that on Philco 70 and 90 trimmers with no problems. Just cut the plastic to fit, make a hole just large enough for the screw to pass through, reassemble, align and done.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron,

The trimmer on this doesn't use any mica. It's a ceramic rotor/stator type that holds the two parts apart by a thin lip of ceramic. What usually happens is that the rotor lets go of the adjustment slot so that you can turn it till H*** freezes over and it won't make a difference. Sometimes you can try reflowing the solder around the slotted adjustment, but this doesn't always work.

Thanks for everyones HELP...Received my trimmer cap and installed it and WA-LA I have stations close to where they belong...Still needs an alignment that I will do this weekend...