Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 118 Cap question

I'm working on the above and one of the bakelite caps is a dual .0001 (100pf) cap (Philco P/N 8035K). My question is "would these be mica" and less subject to replacement? I have not seen caps of this value in bakelite enclosures. Thanks for your thoughts (I don't currently have any 100pf caps).
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

I have run into 8035 DG before. There were 2 mica caps inside when I opened it up. So I think in your case they are likely to be Mica's too.

Thank you Chris, that takes the number of restuffs down from 11 to 10! Icon_clap Jerry

If those are in the 2det circuit the value isn't very critical as they use to filter any rf signal out of the detected audio. Anything from 100 to 500mmfd will work fine. When you start to use one than are big you will start to lose the hi frequency response in the recovered audio.
Terry

I've seen those with micas inside...but most of them I've opened up had tiny paper caps inside! Icon_eek

You'd better rebuild it, too. Better safe than sorry!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Well dang Ron, you really know how to spoil the party!Icon_biggrin Now I'm back up to 11 to restuff and need to find a couple 100pfd caps. Yes Steve, they are in the second detector circuit appear to be relatively low voltage, would ceramic caps work?

Jerry

I've got some nice 100pf caps on hand. I can send a few to you if you would like.

Brenda, PM sent.
Jerry