Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Latest project - 1942 Zenith model 7S633

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUSa77QDhgc

Once again, this is a radio that's been in the family since new. I have two such radios, and both were purchased new by my great-grandparents. The 1940 Coronado was my mom's grandparents' on her mother's side of the family, and this 1942 Zenith was bought new by my dad's grandparents on his dad's side of the family. I never knew my dad's great-grandparents, as they both passed away between 10 and 20 years before I came along. Great-grandpa, who more than likely went to the local Zenith dealer one day in late 1941 to purchase this, died when my dad was only 6 years old, so he only has vague memories of him too.

Philcos are always my first love, but I don't think restoring any one of them has given me as much pride and personal satisfaction in bringing them back to life as these two radios have. To hear them play again is like having a piece of my dearly departed grandparents (who passed these radios on to me from their parents) with me again, and it's a good feeling! I hope they are smiling down from above, knowing that these radios that they listened to as youngsters are once again being enjoyed and will continue to be enjoyed by future generations.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Got it back together again:

Here's the top view of the cabinet... had to refinish this because Grandpa kept the radio in the garage and used it to store anything and everything on top of it. It had deep stain rings through (what was left of) the finish from a quart of oil, weed 'n feed, you name it!

Close up of the dial. The glare of the flash shows the age cracking of the paint on the dial face. Not really that noticeable under normal lighting:

Normally I would replace the old hand written station ID tags, but not in this case. The tags are in my great-grandpa's handwriting. I never knew him... he passed away in 1953 when my dad was only 6 years old.

So now I have a 1942 Philco table model, and a 1942 Zenith table model. Still partial to the Philco, even though this one has far more sentimental value attached to it! Icon_smile

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Looks nice! I always kinda liked that style of Zenith table radio from the 1941 and 1942 seasons.

No matter where you go, there you are.

One think I don't like about brand Z radios from 1942 and 42 seasons is the proliferation of faux wood grain decals they used on many of their cabinets. This one isn't too bad, only a small strip bellow the dial and on top of the molding near the speaker grille, but some have half the cabinet covered with it. On the Philcos from that period they reserved the faux finish, they called it Philcoat, mostly for the cheaper sets.
Regards
Arran

Very nice keeper you got there!!!
Terry

Very good.
Have been keeping this one in mind for myself too. But the prices for it are somewhat insane.
This same thing comes sometimes as a floor radio.

Swell looking set!!Icon_thumbup