Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is this a asbestos chassis liner?

I just got a old sears silvertone to redo. Upon removing the chassis i have noticed what feels and looks like asbestos. Can anyone confirm....and if so what should I do?

[Image: http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz105...66ff7f.jpg]

I certainly does look like asbestos. It was pretty common in the 30's and 40's to use asbestos fiber sheet under the chassis and in the cabinet near power tubes. I have a Philco 40-120 with the same type of asbestos in the wooden cabinet under the chassis. The earliest Zenith Transoceanics also had asbestos under the chassis.

If it were my radio, I would try not to disturb it to minimize getting any fibers airborne. When working around it, wear a respirator approved for asbestos and do it over a disposable surface. It is usually recommended to thoroughly wet down the asbestos with water so it will not become airborne when disturbed.

Im going to get rid of it. I will look om McMaster Carr and see if I can get a fiberglass weave type sheet to replace.

Zenith 7G605 has the asbestos sheet also under the chassis.
Oh well. As long as you do not polverize it and start inhaling....

I usually just ignore the asbestos unless it's falling apart and has become useless. Unless you do something stupid like grind it up and snort it like a certain drug that Rick James used to use, you have a greater risk of something happening while crossing the street. One way to deal with it, if it's a concern, is to encapsulate it with latex paint, it will soak into it and prevent it from coming apart.
Regards
Arran

When faced with asbestos in old sets, I very carefully remove it from the set, place it in a paper sack, and douse it with kerosene.

Then I take the kerosene-doused-sack-o-asbestos to my ex-mother in laws house, set it down on the front porch, light it on fire, ring the doorbell, and DRIVE AWAY LIKE CRAZY before she is able to mount her broom and chase me down.

Could you simply use garlic instead?

Already tried to place a garlic necklace on her when she was asleep, but she keeps her casket locked.

Drill a tiny hole in the casket and feed a small tubing in there, and run some H2S in it (that's the stuff that we produce when eating predominantly bean-heavy diet). Once she opens the lid, have your necklace ready.

Now why didn't I think of that?

Icon_lol

That's one of the thickest "A" pads I have seen.
I it were mine, I'd apply a paint/clear lacquer with a brush. and leave it in place.

Paint/lacquer may not work.
The very function of asbestos is the thermal insulation, which it is excellent at.
The paint may simply burn if the heat is high enough and you will be smelling fumes that probably will do you more harm than the asbestos itself.

Go to the auto parts store and by a can of high-temp ceramic exhaust header paint and encapsulate it.

Mike

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952

On most of the chassis I have seen, the pad was under the chassis, not much heat going downward.
If there is enough heat to burn the lacquer, then there needs to be something else in there besides a 'grey pad' of you know what.
I think the idea behind it was to help spread out the heat so you didn't have a hot spot. This is important when the pad is on the inner top of the cabinet.