Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Who can restore my 37-630?

Bought my Philco for $20 bucks and looking for someone to replace tubes or whatever to make it like new. Right now it turns on and lights up with sound but no stations. It has all the original tubes and parts but the speaker. I am going to redo the cabinet myself. I live in Toledo Ohio so if anyone knows a place that can restore the inner workings I would take it there myself to get it done right. Also do I have to hook up an antenna ?

Does anyone around Toledo Ohio or southern Michigan restores these old radios?

removed

Why cant I pick up any stations all the tubes light up do these radios have a tube antenna? is mine bad maybe. Also should the speaker have the right ohm to pick up stations? it does not have the original speaker ..... what should the speaker ohm be 4 or 8?

I think it would be wise to send it to someone for repair.

Marilyn,

I suggest you go to "wanted" section and place an ad for the service wanted. Someone may reply.

And, no, if the speaker is working and the transformer is also working, it will deliver at least some sound. Maybe too loud, maybe too quiet, maybe distorted, but some.

You see, you are asking questions that are too broad, and this won't help you.
No, if the tubes light up it does not mean diddly-squat, it only means that your transformer filament winding is OK, and this is just 1% of the things that can go wrong. So answering that does not make much sense and is a waste of time.

So, let's not waste time, go place that ad and hopefully someone will fix it for you.
And as suggested, it may pay to send it out for repair.

OK I understand that I should send it to someone for complete repair. Any suggestions of which shop would do it that is kinda close to me in Toledo Ohio I would like to take it there myself instead of packing it up and sending it though the mail. I will also put an ad in the wanted section and see what happens. thanks again

A suggestion--Go to Phorum resources-links and contact the central Ohio club or CARS. A member may restore your radio.

Email sent concerning repairs.