Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-116

I play my 38-116 almost every nite.....Every once and a while I fall asleep while It is on and my wife has to come in and turn her off.

Dose your 38-116 have good bass mine has poor bass?

I restored one last year that sounded great, as good or better than my 38 690. I had another 116 that I planned on using as a parts radio, but decided to restore it also based on the first one.

This one is in pretty bad shape, but I am almost done with the chassis. The cabinet will be more challenging.

A the Philcos that I have do have good bass, but not as much as the Zeniths I have. That said, I think the Zenith has too much and the Philco just enough bass.

Steve

mine seams weak the speaker seams pretty stiff not much cone movement my sparton 1466 has a 12" and it has more movement and better bass maybe something else is wrong I hate to take out the chassis it is a pain to put back in.

Vin, Mine has good bass. Its a good sounging radio. Just would love to find a back for the radio. Now my RCA 816k has a lot of bass makes the dishes in the china cabinet move!

Wow. The Chinese should be very unhappy with it. If you keep doing that they will move their cabinet to the Europe.

well it was setting under the thermostat driving the ac nuts so I moved it to the corner of the room and it really improved the bass.

link to finished picture https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=CF...der%2c.jpg

VIN....your radio has the 10 millionth radio tag on it... Who was the radio purchased buy in 1938? Keep that radio! Mine will be in my collection until I pass from this earth! Good luck with it.

MRS Mary Lillian Manning when I got it had Louisville and Nashville station tabs in it I did a search for hers name I think she died in 1973.

Wow ...Nice to know where a original radio came from. I wish I knew where my 1938-116 came from. All I know is that it has all N.Y. call numbers on the dial.

Did philco have serial numbers on them and if they used for warranty so philco would know who bought them but if philco did they are most likely gone now.

VIN , Enjoy your Philco. I play mine almost every nite! Picks up stations all across the dial. One of the BEST radios in my collection.

One of my best to I play it often glad you enjoy yours to.