Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My Kutztown Score

This one didn't just talk to me, it SCREAMED! Certainly an odd duck, the badge reads "The Cunningham Radio Co." Uncertain if this beauty was perhaps related to the tube company or the Detroit drugstore chain. Haven't pulled the chassis yet, but its a four tuber + ballast. With a gorgeous dial like that, it was hard to say no. Any clue as to the actual manufacturer?

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Koste
Gobs of Knobs
Zucksville, PA

Mike,

So the knob guy - it was you?

RCA was connected to Cunnigham, perhaps a RCA manufactured set, at first glance I would guess maybe Detrola as they did a lot of private label
stuff. any model#? Info on chassis? Pics?

Paul

Tubetalk1

I'll get out my magnifying glass and compare the Cunningham logo on the radio to a Cunningham tube logo. At quick glance, they look similar, but not sure they're exact. Pulled the chassis this AM and found that, according to the printed sockets, the 6C6 and 6D6 were in the wrong sockets. The radio also has a 25Z5 rectifier, 43 output tube, and a "Type A" air cooled ballast, which I believe is a replacement. Sadly, several hundred different sets had this tube line-up which will make identifying the actual manufacturer all the more difficult. One friend thought that it may be a rebadged Trav-Ler.
Once the tubes were installed in their proper places, I brought it up on the variac and eventually got pretty good reception despite excessive hum. For now, it will be a handsome shelf sitter until I get around to recapping it.

PS: Yes, morzh. I AM the knob guy.

Mike Koste
Gobs of Knobs
Zucksville, PA

I can attest to Mike being "The Knob Guy". Hooked me up with original knobs for my Model 20 when I met up with him at Kutztown. You need knobs? He's got them!! Take care. Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Mike

I was the guy in the T-shirt "Beer, not for breakfast anymore" and I was together with Terry, he bought some knobs off of you, the tall guy in overalls.
I said that that woman, Julie (I think) sent me to you.

I seem to recall seeing that shirt.

Mike Koste
Gobs of Knobs
Zucksville, PA

Very nice score Mike!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Yeah, me likes it! Looks cool!

From first glance and given the tube lineup my guess would be that it's a product of the infamous "Plant A" in Chicago. They were notorious for producing dozens of cheap AC/DC models with TRF circuits a fancy multi coloured dial, and a meaningless nameplate tacked on the front.
One thing I can see is that the cabinet was refinished in a matte clear coat, something people still persist in doing even though these were all finished in gloss lacquer originally.
Regards
Arran

Further research provided a positive ID. The Cunningham is actually a Climax model C, vintage 1937. There is a picture of the Climax version in the first edition of Stein's Machine Age to Jet Age.

Mike Koste
Gobs of Knobs
Zucksville, PA

I would have bought it too.

Check out the similarity of the cabinet design with this Kadette. The big dial is much more impressive, but it makes me wonder if they were not produced by the same people.

No they were not produced by the same people, Kadette's were produced by the International Radio Corporation of Ann Arbor, Michigan. Most of the independents, as well as some of the major manufacturers, purchased cabinets from outside suppliers who specialized in making radio cabinets, so you can't really judge whether something is a company X radio based on it's cabinet alone.
Regards
Arran

Yes, that is what I meant, the cabinets.