Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 20

Don't pot it fully, leave the can in the air. Just the leads.

Regarding that extra cap on your chassis, look in the Philco Repair Bench site under service tips. One of the tips explained adding a cap to eliminate high pitched whistling under full volume conditions. This might be the answer to your extra cap. Take care. Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Is there any specific order in which those caps in that big can go in?

Just follow the diagram of the caps in the can and you will be fine.

Looking at the can from the back of the chassis, one row of pins are 1, 3, and 5 and the other 2, 4 and 6?

The can points are numbered 1 through 6. Point 5 is not used in the can, but as a tie point under the chassis. Caps are installed as follows...
1.5 - between points 1 and 3
1.0 - between points 1 and 2
1.0 - between points 1 and 4
.13 - between points 2 and 6 ( I used a .15 cap here)
I used non-polarized mylar 630 volt caps for all in the can. Hope this helps> Take care. Gary

Gary - Westland Michigan

Another thing I noticed when I had it out of the cabinet was some previous owner spliced a more modern power cord on to the existing cloth covered one under the chassis.

Seems the power cords were something of a weak link. Almost every other radio I've seen has had a modern cord splice to the radio or the old cord. Period cloth cords are available from several sources on the net.

Gary - Westland Michigan

Here's a pic of my model 20.

Where?

It somehow wouldn't attach. The file size was too big.

Make it 1024 bit H-size, it will then.

I finally got my model 20 to play by using a long piece of wire for an antenna and dropping it out the window of my apartment. preforms good on strong local stations.

Congrats.
20 is a nice radio. Not the best sounding one, no, but nice overall. And simple. If it weren't for the can filter restuffing, I'd call it a walk in a park.

When I did the filter can I cut the wires where thy go thru the can, removed the screws , put the can in an old crock pot my wife no longer wanted , heated it up slowly till the tar got just soft and by pulling on the leads the whole mess came out in one lump. The can was lined with some sort of paper so there was no adhesion of the tar to the inside of the can. It was a lot easier than I had hoped. I replaced all the resistors except the long tapped resistor . On the blocks I just by hand drilled the wires out using a slightly oversized drill thru the rivets and soldered the new caps to the top lugs.
When I powered the radio up it performed very well. The fellow I did it for was more than happy. I also replaced the input PP transformer. They are often open.
Henry