Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help everyone...what have I got???

Hello everyone. Picked up a couple of radios recently, not that I was looking for them, but they just sorta fell into my lap. One is an Emerson DJ-312 ac/dc portable in relatively good condition. The other is something of a mystery. The only marking I can find on it is an orange label on the back that states " Plant A Chicago, USA no. 225410." The cabinet looks a little like a Philco 'bullet' radio and is in very restorable condition. Can anyone shed some light on this second radio? It has a label under the cabinet that says Model 215, but most of the label is missing. It's a BC/SW receiver, and doesn't look like much to work on it. Tubes are 6A7, 6D6, 76, 25Z5, 43, and a K49C ballast tube. Any info anyone can offer is greatly appreciated. Take care. Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Some pics wouldn't hurt.

You can hold'em in your lap, exactly as they fell into it. Icon_mrgreen

This is what I found in a database search. It sounds promising, but I can't find any schematic for it...

Clinton Manufacturing Company Clinton 215 5 6A7, 6D6, 25Z5, 43, 76

Brenda, you are my hero!!! The radio is a Clinton "oval" built in 1937 at Plant A Chicago. Found a photo of it on another website...
http://radioattic.com/item.htm?radio=0960016
Mine is missing the brass nameplate under the speaker, but is identical other than that. Now I have at least a prayer of finding a schematic for it. I understand Plant A made several genaric radios, and this is probably not a great set, but it seems pretty rare, and good looking. Thanks for the help. Take care. Gary

Gary - Westland Michigan

I don't know if Clinton is the actual maker or just another one of several meaningless names "Plant A" would put on their sets. I suspect that the infamous Plant A of Chicago filled the same niche in the cheap generic radio market in the late 30's that some Japanese makes did in the 60s.
On another note in spite of the R.A fanfare about that individual as a "Premier Seller" he is not recommended, he charges restored prices for unrestored sets.
Regards
Arran

Gary, that is an attractive looking radio!
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Nice looking set!!

Clinton was the manufacturer, but unfortunately they were not covered in the Rider manuals; they sometimes had a schematic glued to the bottom of the cabinet.

Apparently, Clinton evolved into the later incarnation of Sonora; I have a Sonora TSB-47 bed lamp radio which is a prewar version of the Mitchell sets, which they also made. Inside the cabinet there is a "Plant A" label.

Tim KA3JRT

We'll probably never know the chicken-and-egg arrangement between Clinton and Plant A. Some Clinton branded sets actually have a Clinton chassis tag. Coincidentally its the same orange color and style as the more common Plant A tag Icon_smile There is also service data out there for their larger 10-11-12 sets but not for the smaller ones.
I suspect Clinton made their own large sets and farmed out the smaller ones to Plant A. However, at the end of the day, they could have all been made under the same roof!

I've been going nuts trying to find the schematic for this beast! Thought once I determined what it was there would be no problem....RIGHT!!! All I'm learning is Plant A was quite the clandestine operation. Kinda like the "brown bag over his head at the football game" fan. Seems my only hope is to find someone who happened upon a schematic for this set. At least the majority of the innards are well marked for replacement purposes. Take care, Gary.

Gary - Westland Michigan