Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Restoring my 37-116. It plays now!

I've personally found that (soaking in) Simple Green does wonders for knob residue. A toothbrush, applied while the knob is still wet, will get any stubborn leftovers. I've done this many times, and the knobs come out looking like new.

6J5 is about as simple as it gets. Metal version must have pin 1 to ground with no other ties of convenience, glass versions may require shield. 6C5 can sub if you have one 99%.

Took some elbow grease with GoJo. It does work, but as any consistent thick grease-like substance will need to be removed then, together with the dirt. When we are talking surfaces, it's just fine, but small creases like knurling, it is labor-intensive.

OK, here are some "After" Photos.

Looks Good! Big improvement!!
Terry

Very nice example, Mike!! And with the 6A5 output system!!

AND it sounds like that with OLD WEAK (officially weak according to the tester) 6A5 tubes.
And I did buy the new ones off of Bob Dobush! I thought the originals would work but bought the newer anyway just in case.
(In fact I had to change just three tubes, two 6J5 and the rectifier.)
They sound terrific!!!

Well, now I need to take that oatmeal residue off and then try some of that "Wine'n'Dine" or "Feed'n'breed", forgot which one it is....supposedly it will rid me of the necessity to do the full resto one day, and, what's better - of thinking of it Icon_smile

The Rutgers University Cheerleaders have a "bikini" antique radio cleaning that they do every week-end until it just gets too ____ cold up there.

You should take your set there and have the girls work their magic on it. Icon_thumbupIcon_waveIcon_clap

Icon_wink

Really? What do they use to hold the rugs? And do they cover themselves in GoJo first and then rub against the radio?

Gosh, I'd love to see that! Icon_lol

Yep! Really!!Icon_wave

Morzh, that radio is looking great! Good job! ..

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Great looking radio......Job well done another one saved and able to sing again give yourself a hand!

'Tis but an far cry from "whence it was". Icon_thumbup glorious!!! Icon_e_biggrin

Oh' c'mon guys, you make me blush - I just cleaned it with GoJo....any one of you would make this cabinet orders of magnitude more gorgeous.
It's just the radio is so beautiful it looks good even without proper cabinet restoration.

OK.... I guess that means you don't want the "candy-gram" I was having the Rutgers Bikini-Radio-Washing Team deliver to you

Looks great!!!