Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Restoring my 37-116. It plays now!

I usually just connect to the "red" terminal.

I did that too.
I think though both Red and Black are the exact same thing.
the only thing is, if you do not connect GND to that centertap terminal, the antenna coil is in essence disconnected on one end.
So I think the GND and terminal 4 (the cenntertaps) should be connected.

Only difference in typical usage as AF amplifier is that metal 6J5 has it's shell connected to pin 1, so you need to make sure pin 1 is to B- or "ground."

In any case, super low readings with a dependable tube tester probably points to unrecoverable defects. They're cheap enough and plentyful, so toss 'em.

Codefox

I am well past that stage, having bought, I forgot, like 10pcs at 3 bucks with shipping each on e-bay, all perfectly good, so...

The radio is working now.

Checked all three SW bands today; all three work great. Zillions of stations and this is with 3 feet hanging wire tight bundled at the end.

wow great to hear of your restoration. Please send some pictures of the finished radio.

Oh, it is not finished.
I am more or less done with purely electrical part.

there is still the dial assembly (just found the big star washer holding the central bushing has disintegrated) to put back, a bad lamp socket to replace....and I do not think I will be refinishing the cabinet, if only maybe a light cleaning. It lloks decent.
Grill cloth may need replacement - has a couple of rips.

So tomorrow start with a trip to Lowes, maybe they have star washers. Although when I typed that in google I got...star washers indeed! Washer with star rating. And dryers.
Icon_lol

Plus I am doing that Emerson for that colleague of mine...will rewind the antenna coil, and then - recap etc, as usual.
So I have more than one prj on my hands.

You'll be lucky to find ANYTHING you need at Lowes. You'll find everything you DON'T need, as is with most all my experiences there. Icon_lolno

Hi All;
What you need is McGuckin Hardware or a place like it.. I can go in and buy one washer or one screw or a box of washers..
And if they don't have it, then J. B. Saunders for some of my smaller electronic parts supplies and more screws and washers..
THANK YOU Marty

I am afraid we do not have any McGuckin or J.B.Saunders around here. All we have is Lowes.
I think we have Flemming and sons County line hardware. I went there maybe twoce in my 8 years here. Might give them a try, but I am not holding my breath.

As a matter of fact Lowes has many good things, it's just taht you will pay 2 bucks for 4 screws sometimes.....same goes for Home Depot. In fact they are the same. And they tend to build their stores in close proximity to each other.

No wonder the rumor about the divorced wife of Home Deopt owner starting Lowes (which is not true at all) gained so much popularity Icon_smile (actually Lowes is older by some 30 years than HD).

Went to the local hardware. Well, the single advantage is, they do sell by the piece, a quarter apiece. Lowes sells by a pack of two and it is 60c apiece.
Otherwise no difference.

Neither one had larger than 1/2" washers, so I bought it from Lowes as I needed other stuff also. Did not fit by maybe 1/16", so I need to order one online I guess.

HAHAHA! SEE? They ALMOST have what you need, but not quite. Happens EVERY time, for me. I just gave up going there. My blood pressure starts to spike, the closer to the place I get. Icon_rolleyes

Well, they did have 4-40 brass screw I needed when one of those I unscrewed from a coil in this radio did not go back - did not catch the thread, so I needed one a bit longer. Granted they had a slotted screw not a hex head, but I did not care.
No it does not happen to me every time.

But then again, Lowes, same as HD is a Home Improvement store. Not a general hardware store, not a hobbyist store - home improvement, so I cannot blame them for not catering to my every whim.

I am not, for example, expecting my Shoprite to carry black truffles or black caviar, or many of those great salamis that one can find in an ethnic deli store. When I need those I will go to that ethnic deli.
Etc etc.

Star washers would fall under locking washers probably, hence why you ended up with a link to energy star rated washing machines (many of which are crappy at cleaning clothes by the way). I have a bulk pack of locking washers, the split type, that we picked up someplace for some forgotten reason, it has a selection of various sizes in a nice plastic tray, plus I have some that I salvaged from various things I scrapped over the years. Sometimes they sell trays like that over fleabay with various assortments of hardware like washers, O-rings, or rubber grommets in them pretty cheap, it may be worth picking one up.
Regards
Arran

Does anyone have a photo of the 37-116 wire harnesses of the dial assembly with the dials removed (there is a switch there, a central pilot lamp and the four flood dial lamps)?
I do not remember how it was routed (I do know where it plugs in).