Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Messed up Philco 90

???? ??? ???? ? Yes. We should all pitch in and set Bob up with a remedial course in the finer art of socket repair. Icon_think Icon_lol I haven't done a whole lot of radios, but worked on a couple of really bad clunkers, though. Haven't seen a bad socket yet. Icon_think Odd.

I think Bob knows what he is doing. Watch some of his fine YouTube restoration videos and you'll see the man is a pro. Icon_thumbup

Oh, and Electrothaumaturgist, I know you were kidding. Icon_wink

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Even if it were only a case of bad tube sockets you can still buy brand new 4, 5, and 6 pin sockets from several sources, usually made out of porcelain but there are Bakelite ones out there to. The mods were obviously done because there was a major failure like a shorted filter cap, probably the output filter cap, I don't think the fact that the choke, original speaker, and bias resistor were all removed was just because someone had some time on their hands. In the case of a 90 cathedral it is also a fairly collectable set, we aren't talking about a 1960s AA5 clock radio where nobody cares whether you hack it up or not.
Regards
Arran

Those are interesting mods to a Philco 90 and at least you get a blue 27 and an eye tube out of the deal, not to mention a pretty decent 90 cabinet.

I suspect whoever did those mods read a few too many radio oriented "how-to" magazines back in the day and when they made those mods, for whatever reason, they also tried to 'jazz it up' it somewhat with the eye tube.

It is interesting and I'm glad that Bob documented and photographed the modifications, but if it were me I'd do the same thing he's doing; find a nice unmolested 90 chassis to slip it into that cabinet.

The "modded" chassis looks fairly clean so someone with a rust bucket chassis and a lot of time on their hands might get some use out of it and get it back to original again.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Hi All;
I Think that Bob is doing the right (correct) thing for Him.. I would do it a little bit differently, but I am not Bob.. I would Reverse-Engineer or make a Schematic of what is there, If for no other reason than to find out what is there.. And then once I knew what the circuit looked like depending on what I found I would either make it work with what was there and finish what would be needed to make it into a working radio.. Or I would completely convert it back to being a Philco 90.. Keep up the good work Bob..
THANK YOU Marty

It's actually a blue 56 which might be a little scarcer than a 27. Unfortunately, the GE eye tube is nearly dead. Speaking of GE, the friend I bought this radio from stopped by for a visit earlier this week and filled me in a little on it's history. He pulled it out of the attic of a man that had worked at GE in their prewar TV division. So that might explain the GE branded eye tube. Perhaps other parts came from the GE labs too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philco-90-Chassi...1c346f04f8

Bob,

someone is selling an unrestored single 47 version chassis.