Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Gone But Not Forgotten

I was going through an old desk in the basement tonight and ran across some old photos of a few radios I no longer have. What a trip down memory lane it was to see these old "friends" again. I sold them between 10 and 20 years ago when I was thinning out the herd to make room for more Philcos! Icon_lol

This one, is a Coronado model 43-9201A, table model radio / phonograph. Circa 1947. I remember the die cast tone arm on this set was so badly broken I wound up making a tone arm out of aluminum channel stock! I kinda regret selling this one now, because there is/was some sentimental value attached to it. My grandfather spotted it at a garage sale on his way home from work, stopped, and bought it for me. He swung by my house on his way home and just gave it to me... even carrying it down to the basement for me. This was in June of 1984, and I was a month shy of my 12th birthday. Little did I know that less than two months after he backed into our driveway with his new '84 Cutlass, and popped open the trunk with this gift for me that he'd be gone, due to complications from heart bypass surgery at age 58. It's been almost 30 years now, yet not a day goes by that I don't think of him.

This set was always a bit of a mystery, which seems fitting because the guy that had it was also a bit of a mystery. He had a big 'ol mid-1970's Ford LTD station wagon, complete with woodgrain sides, that was chucked full of... stuff... top to bottom. I think he lived out of it more often than not. After he passed away, his family cleaned out the wagon and had a garage sale. I bought this Aircastle radio from the sale. I believe it dates to the early 1930's. I could never find a model number on it anywhere. All I know is it had 3 bands. This one I remember selling on eBay about 10 years ago.

Lastly, a beast of a console... a big humongous beast... a Spartan console radio / phonograph. 3 band, model 365842. I believe it dates to circa 1946. This one I know where it went, as I sold it to a friend of my folks in the early 90's. It's actually sitting on the concrete sump pump well cover in the basement of the house I grew up in on this picture!

Somewhere, if I dig deep enough, I might find a picture of the 1937 Crosley model 675 I had, and the 1950 Zenith Console radio/phonograph just like the one in the Fred Astaire film "Royal Wedding" that I used to have too.

Which gives me an idea.... if any of you, fellow Phorum members, have photos of radios you no longer have, why not post them here? Icon_smile

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org