Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Speaker Plug Interchangeability

I have an Atwater Kent model 84 that needs a speaker plug. In checking what I have, I see that the Philco and Zenith are different. This is a 4 pin offset plug. Did the makers of the radios each make theirs proprietary or is there some interchange possible? Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Gene

Most Zenith speaker plugs won't fit your typical Philco sockets.

Maybe there are those that are alike, but what I saw so far is not compatible.

You could make one yourself if you really want. Philco has those that simply use two fiber layers riveted together with the pins on one and another being the backing.
Pins should be available - many devices today use the same hollow pins for soldering wires in them.

As a matter of fact pins from old bad octal tubes will do.

PS> Just thought about it - you could try make a plug from an octal base with pins - remove unneeded ones, cut the key, solder the wires into those you need and pot it. Of course you have to check the diameter of the circle in the base and the radio speaker socket.
And I am talking about the Philco, for Zenith it may not work due to the smaller circle radius.

This is an Atwater Kent model 84 radio that I am talking about. I know that the Philco and Zenith plugs are different. Did every maker design their own specific speaker plug to only fit their brand or is there some interchangeability?

Gene

Gene

Will a standard 4-pin tube base (such as used on the 80) fit in the AK speaker socket? I seem to recall that the speaker sockets in AK sets were just like a tube socket (two large and two small holes)...but I could be mistaken since we're talking AK and not Philco. Icon_smile

I would hazard a guess that every manufacturer did things their own way when it came to speaker plugs.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The 4 pin tube bases are not exactly the same as the A-K speaker plugs. You CAN get them in the socket, but only with considerable force, as the pin offset is ever-so-slightly different.

What about the octal base with some pins removed - would that fit?

I'd vote for an octal socket as a replacement, and of course you can use the base of a dud tube for the plug, or better yet an octal plug with a snap on retaining cup. That is if you don't mind making a change to your set. I've seen many many 4,5,6,7,9,10,11 and Octal speaker connectors, and as stated, some of these are not the same configuration at corresponding tubes. Old Organs, PA amps, and many radios had really strange unobtanium plugs and sockets, and the rerer they are, the more likely they will be hopelessly broken or missing.

In any case, many have a shoebox or two of these odd plugs and sockets, so a picture of exactly what you have and want to do with dimensions might drum up a contribution. Use the Wanted forum here if you wish to.

Thanks for the info and input!
I may have found an actual AK speaker plug! An offer has been made to send me one so I am pursuing that.

Gene