Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

47-1230 Capacitors

Warren, I too can't get anything on SW. I think we need to put an actual SW antenna for that to happen.

How well are you receiving AM and FM? Also, are both band relatively the same loudness? Since you replaced the caps, it wouldn't be bad practice to check measurments, but assuming the sound is clear with no chirps or distortion, I assume you have it properly recaped so far.

Have you changed the line capacitors?

Follow the technical manual, there's a 20-ish step verification that can be done, if you're all near their numbers, go straight ahead with aligment.

Still, uncertain about SW.

-Mars

Hi Marsupial, Yes, I recieve both AM and
FM pretty well...AM might be a little louder than FM though. there is one cap in the FM section I didnt replace yet, the 3 legged one I understand is for filtering. It measures correctly but I know I should still replace it. I get no chirps or distortion, I can hear a little bit of hum in the background but seems to depend on which station it is tuning in on. The lower volume stations seem to have a little more hum in the backgroiund.. might be just not getting the station very well.

Yes, I changed the line capacitors. I will run through the manual checklist to check everything then.

One more question, my vtvm isnt working right now. Do you know if an alignment will work as well useing a scope instead of the vtvm? Thanks for your help. Warren

If you can tell voltage from your scope, you're set. A Digital voltmeter might be good too. That's what I used until I got a VTVM.

However, I still haven't performed alignment yet. From what I get, you'll need a signal generator of some sort to properly align the radio. Others might chime in on that.

-Mars

You can often align AM acceptably by ear. I don't think the exact IF frequency matters too much as long as all the IFs are peaked the same as each other. I did several radios this way before I had the signal generator and VTVM.

Warm up your radio. From the alignment instructions that came with the schematic figure out which IF compensators to adjust and in what order. Tune to a medium strong station. Peak each compensator in the order given to find the highest audible signal. Do this several times. Then find a weaker station and do it two or three times more. It goes pretty fast once you've done it the first time. You have to wait until there is some steady music or someone talking without much dead air, but you can get close.

To align the dial, follow the instructions for the dial alignment except instead of injecting low and high frequency RF from the signal generator, use a high and low station near the frequencies they suggest. Adjust the compensators as instructed. If the alignment instructions say to set the signal generator to 700 KHz and 1500 KHz for alignment, and you can pick up stations at 680 and 1530, no big deal, just use them and set the dial appropriately at 680 and 1530 or whatever station you use. Again, peak by ear, and you should be close enough.

I'm not sure if you can align FM by ear or not. The only FM receiver I've aligned was difficult even with a signal generator and VTVM. A scope might make it easier.

John Honeycutt