Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Got Distracted

I brought my Philco 370 home yesterday. I had gotten an email from a craigslist poster about an inquiry I sent about an ad they had listed for "vintage wood cabinet radio (works great). See ad attached. The included pictures came with their response. I was expecting to see something in the condition I just picked up. However I could not believe it when I saw it. A 1940 Zenith 10S470. Long story short got home last night with another radio. Time to stop for a while.

Great find.
Now all you need is the cat statue for the niche.
Your set isn't a Strat, but the figurine would fit fine, it seems.

http://www.radiostratosphere.com/zsite/b...stery.html

Icon_smile

Chuck

Spectacular!!! Strange that those are the exact same controls and face that are in the 8s463. When you give that tuning knob a good twist, that dial will fly up or down the dial, due to that wonderful flywheel assembly! NICE, NICE, NICE!!! Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_thumbup

I don't know about the cat statue...I'd go with seven elephants. And a bathing girl.

Where would be the best site to get documentation on this Zenith?

http://www.antiqueradioschematics.org/about.htm

Thank you for the link. I appreciate it.

Swingin' radio! Congratulations.

I'd leave the seven elephants out and just go with the bathing beauty.

Beautiful radio!!! And I agree ... sorta. Forget the elephants and go with SEVEN bathing beauties!!! Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Here are the pages from Rider's for model 10S470, chassis 1005.

Beautiful radio!

- Geoff

Attached Files
.pdf Zenith 10S470, Chassis 1005.pdf Size: 1.39 MB  Downloads: 93

I wonder if the power transformer got replaced yet? I have to ask since it's a Brand Z model with the twin 6X5 tubes, which combined with the small fry transformers they liked to use, in an 11 tube set with push pull outputs, was a recipe for disaster.
Regards
Arran

Great find! Looks like you just have to clean up the cabinet, It looks like maybe you did already. Then just have to do the recap. Good luck again nice radio!

Geoff, thanks for the schematics. I would have responded sooner but I had to fly to the east coast on 7/30. My mom had been in ICU for 10 days and is now moving to hospice care. It has been a long 2 weeks. Following the Philco Phorum late at night was a good distraction.

Arran, not sure on the power transformer replacement but it will certainly be something I look at along with the 6x5 tube issue you mentioned.

PhilcoJohn, the cabinet as pictured was how it looked when picked up. The previous owner had it in storage for the past 20 years.