Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Zenith 9S262 - What have I done now?

Right. No rush. Other radios in my collection are patiently waiting their turns as well.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Electrothaumaturgist Wrote:Ah, yes. The 6u5. I used the 6e5, but got a whole new socket assembly for that, as the pins were slightly different from Mark Oppat, and wired it in. T'was a snap.

Electrothaumaturgist, did you use a Russian 6E5C (octal base), or a 1629 (also octal, and requiring a voltage doubler)? These would require a socket change, or an adapter...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I used a local 6E5. Did not want to screw with the socket. I actually had 6U5 in it that worked but was kinda dim. Plus the 1st RF did not work so I first thought that was the tube itself that was screwed up since all' else worked and I was receiving BC and FBC. Took me awhile....both 1M resistor in the socket and open RF coil for the 1st RF amp. If not for that I'd probably stick with 6U5 but I bought a NOS 6E5.....found out it did not help.....so now I have a fixed 1st RF and a new bright eye tube. Has it not been for the eye tube not working properly I might have never figured I had a bad 1st RF.....

Having reminisced of that, I would not use a Russian 6E5S. They do not sell that much cheaper, they mostly ship from Ukraine/Bulgaria and in the end you end up with a tube you have to change a wiring for (octal socket) that is of Russian (not necessarily bad but not supergreat either, american is better) quality AND potentially even more expensive (price plus shipping).
Why bother.

Acked. I'm not going to change the socket in my Brand Z set, just curious which tube Electrothaumaturgist used since he mentioned a socket change. I'll use an American 6U5 or 6E5.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The 6E5, while it does plug into the same socket as a 6U5/6G5, is not a direct interchange. The 6E5 is a more sensitive tube which requires less grid voltage, if you plug a 6U5 into a 6E5 socket the shadow won't close, if you plug a 6E5 into a 6U5 socket the shadow will close and overlap. This is why 6E5s have a different listing then a 6U5/6G5 even though the display is the same.
With regard to the Soviet 6E5 tubes it only makes sense to buy them either in quantity or buy something else along with them from the sellers in the Ukraine, Bulgaria, Russia, etc., it would not make sense to buy one tube at a time. Making one work involves making an adapter, then you don't have to alter the radio. In some sets like a Canadian RCA A23, or C.G.E JK70/JK76, there is no room to fit an adapter as the eye tube socket and cable is directly ahead of the rectifier tube.
Regards
Arran

Ron, it's been a couple of years, but I still have my notes, and will dig that info up. Now that I think about it, I did get the whole socket/wire assembly from Mark Oppat, and didn't like it for whatever reason, and wound up rewiring the original socket (had no insulation there whatsoever), changing the 1meg resistor inside the socket, (the original socket was a work of art) and I think I got a new tube, as the original was weak. The new tube (was it a 6u5, now???) worked like a charm, with complete closure and no overlap. Like I say, I'll look that up.

Actually on mine 6E5 somehow does not overlap on a very strong local station.

First when I was restoring it I noticed some changes in the circuitry related to the eye tube. Since the changes were made in a very crude and sloppy way I simply undid them. And then insalled 6E5. If it overlaps then it is a very slight overlapping. What it does however it does not open as wide as it probably should but the again it is wide enough.

So, I would not worry much. FOr me it was the question of pricing - 6U5 is 40-100% more expensive than 6E5, and there was no other reason for me to buy it.

I suppose if you get this far, have a cold one. Your house Xmitter will pin any tube you sub, no?

I failed to mention that the 9S262 chassis does have all of its tube shields. That isn't much consolation, though, given its condition.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

When I did my chassis I used a 1629 with an adaptor. Bill Turner sells the adaptor for $14 or with a new tube for $29.

Scroll down a little more than halfway.
http://www.dialcover.com/tubes.html

Larry

I have not received a response from Bill in quite some time. Icon_sad I tried to order several items from his site, and the email doesn't even go through.

Quote:Feel free to contact me via telephone for additional information. Email is not available at this time.

Larry

Right. Bill used WebTV for email, and WebTV no longer exists so he no longer has email.

I read on ARF recently that someone had placed an order with Bill and received the order in a timely fashion, so he's still in business. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

That's good to hear. I'll check back on his site. There was no notification about telephone when last I checked in, but that has been some time.

Ron Ramirez Wrote:I also noticed out of all the 9S262 threads on here, most have missing photos. So I will be contacting the original posters to see about getting those pictures back. Agreed, Geoff's thread was an especially good one.

Hi Ron,

Got your PM and the photos in my thread have been updated:

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread...ht=9-s-262

- Geoff