Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Zenith 9S262 - What have I done now?

Thank you, Geoff! Man, I think you have set the gold standard for Zenith 9S262 restorations! Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron,

Though not your exact chassis, this one looks like it might be a great source for parts:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161060745728

Thanks! I've been watching it, but given what these things have been selling for in the past (I looked at "Completed Auctions" to get an idea), I don't feel optimistic. It is less than an hour from me, though, so I could do a local pickup...it all depends on how much $$$ I want to part with...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron

If you're not in a hurry, wait it out.
Once in a while things that one typically buy for X amout, sell for X/2. Just yesterday a very nice and recently increasingly rare Zenith Bomber went for $330. Mine without cover I got for about $430 or so. I was afraid they are getting rare and I tend to forget the auctions so I got a bit impatient.

Of course it's easy to dispense advice.....but once in a while I see the Z-chassis going for reasonable money.

I was outbid, of course. I guess $72.50 shipping is no detriment when it comes to the Almighty Black Dial.

If the high bidder is on here, I hope you...never mind. You actually did me a favor, as the money pit known as Excursion needs an alternator and I should get that right now rather than a super-expensive brand Z chassis.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

As Bill Z. the founder of Zenitolics Ananomous said "If you don't know when you've already had too many, you already done did."

Ron

My motto is "everything that happens is for the best".
I think those of us who are still around and are not genetically born curmudgeons, in one way or another come to see that this is true.

Hi Ron.
That's a very restorable chassis. You have to be careful around that RF coil (top left photo #6) as they have 4 very fine wires coming from the coils to the soldering lugs. It looks like one or two of your wires have already been resoldered from careless fingers breaking them off. Make sure they have continuity.
I hate to admit it on this forum but I was a "Zenith only" guy for several years before buying any other brand radio Icon_biggrin I dug through my parts and came up with a few things I'd like to donate to getting that beautiful girl going again. The dial has some light crazing but is very presentable. I also found the eye tube hold down bracket with bolt and a good tone switch indicator. You have one of the clips missing that holds the glass and it would be at the 5 o'clock position if the dial was a clock face. I probably have the clip for you as well. Sorry that this is all I could dig up. I have a couple large boxes of Zenith shutter dial parts but they are buried deep in storage.

Attached Files Image(s)

OOPS....just noticed it is the local/distant indicator you need, and not the one for tone so I'll send you that one instead Icon_thumbup

WOW Icon_eek

Bless you, sir! Icon_biggrin I sincerely appreciate your very kind gesture...now I'll need your help in replacing the AM shutters, as I have no clue on that procedure...

PM forthcoming...sent.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I don't know if this will help but take a look at this thread.

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopi...sid=60b906

Larry

Thanks, Larry. That is a great tutorial John Goller wrote up. John and his wife Jean are the best, very kind, helpful and knowledgeable.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hey Ron, finally went through my mountains of notes from the Zenith (8s-463) and found the communications from Mark Oppat concerning the 6u5 tube conversion, and what he actually had was (and I did purchase it) a "complete wired socket that [I] sell for converting the eye tube to the less expensive but identical looking type 1629 tube. It's the easy way to go and all you do is wire it in where the existing wires go. The socket has the conversion circuit to make the 1629 work just like a 6g5/6u5, with the 1629 for $32". (3 years ago). As I recollect it did work, but for some reason, I wasn't totally happy with it (I don't think it closed completely, or didn't seem very intense, or something, so I rewired the original socket and installed a new meg-ohm resistor in it, and got a new 6u5 tube. That tube was very bright, closed completely and was very EXCITING to behold! Icon_thumbup I'm sure I'm not telling you much that you don't already know, but there it is. Sorry if I misled anyone speaking off the cuff like that. I shall check myself first in the future. Icon_redface

Bill Turner's adaptor is a self-contained direct plug-in, no wiring required.

[Image: http://www.dialcover.com/ttube6e5.jpg]

Larry

That's the ticket!!! Nice!!! You'll still have to disassemble the original socket to replace the rotten wires and the meg-ohm resistor, though, no? (Or no?).