Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 14 rewind coil HELP

Hello Phorum ! I need help in a restoration of a Philco 14. My need is diagrams of the #3 antenna transformer part #32-1261 also the #16 oscillator transformer part#32-1262 . I need to rewind them both any help would be greatly appreciated .

Good chance there isn't any documentation for those coil. I would just pop them out and diagram them yourself.
Terry

Sure hope that there is some type of diagram out there . I want to make the coils right . Terry you are probably right , I have been looking for some kind of information on the subject for quite some time now . Have not been having to much luck though . Thanks for your input .

Well going to start the rewind today . See how it goes .

There is no documentation for the individual coils as it was never thought to have been needed when these sets were new. Back then, if a coil failed, the repairman would just get another coil from the friendly Philco distributor. Those have been out of business for decades now. So, today, if your coil fails, you have to rewind it yourself.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi All;
I have documented a few coils, two from my Radio and two unknown coils.. One of the things you can do, to get a fairly good estimate of the number of turns, First, Is to measure the length of the coil of wire.. Then measure a standard length of the coil for a certain number of turns or for a short length like 1/8 Inch or 1/4 inch and count the number of turns in that spacing.. Take the short length and see how many of them will fit into the total length of your coil.. And multiply to get the total number of spaces and then how many turns you had in the spaces..
So if You had 10 turns per 1/4 inch and your coil length is 1 and 13/16th inches long.. So one inch is four quarters and each quarter is 10 turns, so you have 40 turns, plus 30 turns and about 2 and 1/2 more turns..
It might not be absolute, but it should get you in the Ball Park of about how many turns you are looking at.. It is easier than couning the whole length and loosing track..
THANK YOU Marty

Today the rewind went well . The antenna coil ohmed out good . The oscillator coil secondary was ok . Rewound the primary and that went well also . I used the notebook article " Convert to a 6A7 tube from a 36 tube " as a guide line . I thought that all I need is BC band to work and I will be happy enough . So I left the original secondary alone and rewound the primary as the article said . Went over my schematic and connected it up to the best of my knowledge , the radio uses a 6A7 anyway thought that I would give it a try . Fired it up and it came to LIFE ! Although the tuning is all out of wack , I was able to get it to receive a few stations , believe though that they were NOT in the BC band . That was enough for the day . Also any help on connecting the new rewind would be helpful .

This morning moved a few connections at the oscillator coil , made a realignment on the radio . The PHILCO 14 now receives BC band all through out dial , off 3 kc , not bad I can deal with that . It was a very long dragged out rebuild about a year , going to enjoy this radio a lot . Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions . My next rebuild will be a Aetna Model 30A67-W . See you again . Thank you ....