Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Emerson is singing now

Actually I like Waltons' styling (excwept for that one that slims down to the bottom and sopo looks a bit like an accordeon with the top streched and the bottom compressed).
It just could be that the creators of the series also liked the styling and that 9S232 (or whichever the actual one is that was there in the series) were chosen not by chance but for a reason.

I just thought...you know what Walton's face reminds me of? The "Death mask face" from "Scream" or "Scary movie".

OK,

SO.

I have the chassis in my care now.

This is a stinker!

It is a hot chassis set! No power tranny.
A 7-tuber.
And has Short Wave up to 7 MHz.

So, ID it if you can. It s not K-121 or the other two the colleague of mine found.

I kinda start having my suspicion why the cord is stripped to the bare metal - I think it burned. Easy enough in a hot chassis set.

Isolation transformer, there we go again!

I liked that one with that Keith Park did up, he does nice work. Emerson is middle of the road, some better than others. Some suprising.

Good luck.

Paul

Tubetalk1

OK, here's what I have found so far.

From the Radio Attic archive the radio that looks exactly the same with the same exact dial, with SW bandwidth up to 7MHz is AH-162 model.

However the sch for AH-162 shows a 5-tube radio and what I have is a 6 tube chassis (what I thought was the 7th tube is actually the speaker socket - the other guy unplugged it so I thought it was a missing tube until now).

The AH-166 radio sch looks close (AH-185 chassis). Have to try to find the actual radio (cannot right now).

OK, I am puzzled.

Here's AH-162.

http://www.radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=10452

This is my chassis. But it is a 6-tuber and the sch
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...004773.pdf

shows 5 tubes.

What gives?

OK, got it.

The 6th tube is L49BG, a ballast tube, so they do not show it as a tube - bunch of resistor it is.

So, I officially have AH162 Emerson.

I also found a broken 78 tube in place of 6D6. They seem to be the same - anyone? The S is the same and the filament current at 6.3V also, which is important in Hot Chassis due to serializing the filaments. 78 has a bit more oomph - 10mA vs 8mA in 6D6.

Another thing: the ballast tube is shot. Only one out of three resistive sections conducts, the rest is open.

Of course knowing that it drops 49V at 300mA helps, but this is almost 15W dissipation. Do I really want to start dropping that on a resistor.....? Plus I need to know the exact "hot" resistances of the sections as two of them parallel the pilot lamps.

6D6 and 78 are very similar. Interelectrode capacitances are slightly different because 78 has an internal shield surrounding the plate while 6D6 does not which makes it require an external shield.

6D6 was an RCA design based on the 2.5V 58 tube, while the 78 was a competing Sylvania design.

They can easily be interchanged, but you may have to realign the tuned circuits because of the different capacitances.

A lot of people like the 78 better than the 6D6.

Emerson is one of the few old radio companies still in business.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Maybe I should ask them for NOS ballasts Icon_smile

http://www.esrcvacuumtubes.com/vacuumtub...lasts.html

They have the L49B, which is the same thing but with a tap for only one pilot lamp. I haven't found anyone yet that has the L49BG for two lamps.

Note: the K49B is a similar single lamp ballast, but requires use of a #47 lamp rather than the #46.

Did some more investigation. Your ballast crosses to an L49D. This is also available at the link above.

L49B is by definition for one lamp, the original tube in the Emerson is 3CR-241; the L49B is the nex closest thing but will only work with onle lamp.

Did you see my next posting? The L49D is a two lamp ballast, directly subbing for the original part number.

Thanks Brenda, yes it seems to be the cross.

The problem as I sad before is, they repaired it some time in the past, put L49B in it and probably removed one lamp as I only have one socket there. So no matter which one I use, I will only be able to use one pilot light.