Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Emerson is singing now

Phlogiston

Where do you get the winding data?
I tried looking.

In my reply I had meant the lamp sockets. But I do rewind the antenna coils. I did the last one, last week on my coil winder, but unwound it by hand. Counted 140 turns on the antenna to ground winding. So that is what I put back. I think it was # 36 enameled wire, but for that application it could have been larger or smaller. You don't have to be real neat, but it helps keep the wire from falling off.

Can you believe that someone had put a power plug on it and plugged it into the wall socket. I guess when the line cord did not work they just thought that they would try the other two wires.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Yeesh!

Hey, Russ, how about I send you a few of those sockets to repair? How much would it cost me?

As long as they are all there, including the spring, for you, how about $6 each + postage back to Tin-buck-two or where ever your are stationed. New cloth wire, new rubber. Let me know how long you need the leads.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Russ,

I can almost bet I know what happened there (with the cord on the antenna). Back in the day, they had those stupid (and worthless) "Whole House TV antennas". They had a pair of disc capacitors (or maybe only one, if they were REALLY cheap!) connected to an AC plug on one end, and a piece of twinlead on the other, which then was connected to the TV. I've seen SOOOOOO many times where some enterprising soul decided not to spend money on the commercial version, and opted to simply connect an AC cord across the antenna terminals of their set and plug it in..... This REALLY made a mess of the tuner, and other components, on transformerless sets. Yeah.. that's right.. I was a bench tech for a LOOOOONG time. Someday I'll tell you about the customer that complained about how his TV looked better before I installed a new jug.

Well,

I could almost bet on it also but I am still puzzled.

Her's the sch again.

The coil that burned is the one paralleling C6.
When you buzz across C6 it is open.

Now, the coil in series with it conducts. I am not sure whether it was burning or not, the color is dark on all coils. Maybe because one of them is surface and another one is a thicker winding, the thicker took the brunt.

But if you look at the sch, the cap in series with the antenna is 2nF. This at 60Hz is about 1.3 Mohm, or 90 uA of current which is not capable of hurting a dang butterfly. And the cap is 600V.

So I am still not sure what happened.

The only thing is, the coil is burned and the power cord was bare wires which to me also indicates it burned. Which is also strange as the cord can take about 20A before it starts smoking in about 10 seconds or so, and the coil should evaporate should it see that kind of current.

Does not really click.....

I beg to differ with Arran on the Ingraham Clock Co. They made some very fine clocks and some superb cabinets. Reference Tran Duy Ly's "Ingraham Clocks and Watches".

Like all of the other clock companies, and radio mfg as well, the products got cheapened up over time. Competition was tough and any way to save on production costs was looked at.

Granted some of the Ingraham cases are nothing to rave about, but when they were made the generation that was alive then, knew the Ingraham name and it was a selling point.

Gene

I know some descendants of that family, and some clocks on display in their living room kind of took my breath away. One of them takes two burly men to move it! Icon_shh

Have just finished re-capping. Wow. Only 1/3 of the caps are the same values. Whatever I bought for the radio remains largely unspent, but the stash I had from before proved to have all I need.

I rewound the antenna coil; does not look snappy but hopefully will work.

Now I have to order that last batch from Play Things of the Past, including that ballast tube an 78, and that will be it. I will power it up.
Let's hope it works. It is an uninspiring radio, I am doing it as a favor, not charging for work, so I hope it would just work so I could be done with it.

No good deed goes unpunished you know!

Paul

Tubetalk1

Well, it is five evenings and 68 bucks in goods and shipment later too!

One evening went to clean the thing.
Another is to figure out the caps to order from the sch (like I said mostly a wasted effort as the values did not match, sometimes grossly).
The third was to unsolder the burnt coil and to draw the sketch of its connection.
The fourth and fifth went to recapping.

And now we wait for the ballast to come. I hope it will take just one more evening.

Getting close to the threshold...

You must have a nice friend! It is part of being an Analog Avenger to perform work on tube equipment for the general public! Look, up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, no it's Morzh, spreading the good vibes of the radio hobby to all! That is good karma!

Good luck.

Paul

Tubetalk1

OK,

Yesterday I tried some adjustment, did not quite work first, though the radio was alive and even was attempting some reception, then I remembered I doubted that I connected the antenna coils correctly, so I revised it, swapped the coils, adjusted them again today, and received my local station loud and clear where it should be.

Then I adjusted the rest, all worked, then I turned the chassis on its side, and the adjustment went to crap, so I thought awhile, wiggled one of the tubes, the IF stage, the adjustment was sensitive to it, then lowered the gen signal to the smallest possible where it could be barely heard at all and adjusted more by ear than by voltmeter.

After that I have BC working fine, plenty stations, loud and clear and now that the night came, I have plenty of SW Foreign BC reception (considering it is only to 7 MHz).

So, the rewound coil obviously works, and the other one that looks a bit dark obviously works fine also. Actually the way we figured the second coil was OK was simple - we soldered a cap across, excited it with a square pulses and saw the oscillation at a plausible frequency.

I hope this is the end of it, come Monday I will bring it back to work and give it away.

That was the quickest restoration I have done.

OK, some images. Did not take any before the repairs.

If you look at the image of Ah162 here

http://www.radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=10452

You will see that mine has a different dial face. But the chassis is the same (save the electrolytic which is under the chassis - it was repaired, but the hole is there as you can see).

This is the rewound coil; it is crude but works just fine (and I hate rewinding jobs).