Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Shadow meter question

I just acquired a nice 37-630 and while the power meter is working, there is a problem. The meter works great in shortwave, pretty good in police band, and hardly at all in broadcast. Any suggestions?

Sounds like it's not a shadow meter problem, but a problem with the broadcast band. Perhaps you have an open coil, or maybe in need of an alignment?

My guess is an open antenna coil in the broadcast band.

Like Brenda says, it's not a shadow meter problem.

Pete AI2V

I think the same. It is not the shadow meter. It is your RF, possibly the mentioned coil.

Hi All;
Groundhog74, The picture you have in the upper corner, could have been me in my younger days..
THANK YOU Marty

If the rf side had a bad coil the radio wouldn't work...right?
Possibly the alignment? Once my output coil comes in I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestions. This is the first shadow meter I've found that is still working.

Marty.....I had a few "shocking" experiences when I was a kid. After I blew a bunch of fuses in the house trying to re-wire a record player I was "convinced" by dad and the repeated near electrocutions to quit.

When I was around 5, I discovered that a pair of tweezers was just the right shape to put into an outlet.

I was a good boy...mostly.

At the age of 10 I decided to make my own electrical soldering iron by wrapping some NiCr wire around a bare piece of metal with a wooden handle and connecting it directly to the plug (no insulation).
When no one was home I plugged it in (I had my doubts but went ahead with it anyway). Blue burning pieces flew by me and the lights went out.
I changed the fuse and so my parents did not find out ... they still do not know.
Otherwise there was no damage or injuries.