Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

O man now I've done it, Philco 37-116

Well, I looked up how much it would cost to get an average sized cabinet (up to 70 lbs) shipped here by FedEx.. OUCH! Just $1048 by slow boat, $1700 by "express". I was actually considering looking for the right console and spending what looked to be about $450 to ship it here, but I guess those rate sheets at our FedEx office lie like a rug. C'est la vie..

I don't know if this helps but I just got an empty Majestic Model 92 cabinet shipped by Greyhound Express. From Michigan to NC $68 bucks, 4 days. Arrived in great condition. Total weight about 85 lbs.

Good luck,

Mike

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952

Mike, Greyhound would find it difficult to get
to S. Korea where Brenda lives...
;-)

Brenda -- Those rates are just plain crazy, but we know what
Customs on both ends of the trip can do to shipments.

Chuck

I am not sure why the difference but a friend of mine just shipped a console to another friend in Ukraine (they regularly exchange radios, sending American ones over there and Soviet ones to Canada.)
It was 150 bucks. Nothing to sneeze at but considering some locals nowadays charging 70 bucks to ship it within the States, not bad at all.

So, granted, Korea is Overseas. So is Ukraine. Seven plus times difference?

I don't get it, either. And the quoted shipping costs do not include incoming Korean customs fees. Interesting thing to note is that an empty cabinet cost exactly the same as an entire radio.

If you want to see for yourself, though, plug in your zip and Pyeongtaek, South Korea 451-807. That's FedEx only. We don't seem to have UPS here, and I have no idea where the DHL depot is. At least FedEx is on most of the military posts.

Brenda,

Maybe you guys are a little too close to a "noisy neighbor"
for FedEx's comfort? Icon_smile

Chuck

Chuck,

Kind of hard to tell when Brenda's profile lists location as "Way over yonder".....an update would be appreciated.

Mike

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952

Mike,

That WAS my update. Icon_smile However, if you look a few posts above this one, you'll see where I am.

Ok more on the 37-116, got started on the chassis tonight with my mentor Don Ferguson. Who just happens to have one of those slick chasssis mounts you all been talking about.. I will attach pictures. We went through the power supply section and the electrolytics tonight and things went pretty good. We will be back at it next Monday and start to stuff the Bakelite blocks, love those.[Image: http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a508...c6ddb8.jpg] Top shot on the chassis mount.[Image: http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a508...e81b8d.jpg] Bottem shot.

Oh that brings back unfond memories. Nasty one to recap. I do have an extra shield if you need one (looks like it). Let me know.

Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Thanks for the reply Jerry, yes the shield is missing in the picture but I have it around here somewhere. Appreciate the offer. I'm really excited about this radio since its one of Philco's best and on my bucket list. I never realized how big this radio was until the cabinet arrived on Friday via Greyhound. It's huge and the cabinet is in better shape than the pictures indicated. It will require nothing but grill cloth. Oh and by the way these pictures are before we started the rebuild that's not are work with the blue caps.

All of the Bakelite blocks have been restuffed with the correct caps and any block that had resistors attached have also Been replaced. We tested the resistors and even if they were within tolerance we replaced them with the correct value. All of the electolytics have been replaced. The radio was tested after each block was stuffed too of course check for problems, none so far and the radio performance has improved . That takes care of the power unit and most of the I.F. Unit. Still have to replace the two .1 caps and the one .8 cap in the I.F. Unit then it's on to the infamous R.F.& Audio section but hey we're almost two thirds of the way.

Ronin

There is one single cap that is practically inaccessible in the RF. Because of the Ground. I simply cut the lead off and use the new cap to plug into one of the front ground tabs. The rest is doable though a bit nauseating.

But John who I called about the gaskets told me that unless the radio was repaired before and the RF chassis was spot-soldered where it shouldn't have been, it should dismount relatively easily. He restored several of 37-116 and seems to know quite a bit about them.

Anyway, it looks worse than it is in reality.

Mike:

Brenda wrote she is stationed in Korea.

PS. About shipping: I am about to ship an E.H. Scott chassis I bought for that guy in Ukraine (who I mentioned here before) to Ukraine.
Which brings me to the point: there are national privater postal services that will pick up your package and deliver to the addressee in your country of choice. I found a Ukrainian private carrier who the other guy used to send things to Ukraine; he is quite happy with them. I am sure there are other services like this for many countries from where we have large immigrant groups here.

Hi All;
Maybe Brenda Ann, could have the Radio She wants shipped to the Ukraine and have The guy from Ukraine send it the rest of the way to Brenda..
Or Maybe Brenda Ann could talk a General from the States who is visiting her to pack it along with Him on His personal jet..
THANK YOU marty

LOL.. I don't know anyone of higher rank than MSGT. No commissioned officers at all. Maybe someday I'll check into slow marine freight.

Oh, I've not mentioned this before, but those who think that cabinets cannot be taken down have never shipped one through the USPS/Military postal system. I've gotten plenty of tombstone, cathedral and coffin sets with the cabinets in pieces (they didn't start out that way). I get bakelite cabinets in many pieces as well, but those are not so easily reassembled. Icon_smile